Monday News Update: Olympic Boxing, the Best Beer In Town, and $2 Tacos
Happy Monday, Memphis! How was your weekend? Here’s a quick rundown of what’s new in Memphis today.
– Last week, US Boxing announced the the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for women’s and men’s boxing will happen in Memphis October 25-31, 2015 at the Cook Convention Center. The women who make the team in Memphis will be heading straight for Rio (site of the 2016 Olympics) and men who do well in Memphis will qualify for a final round of Team Trials. I’ll have more info on how you can see these world-class athletes as we get closer to the event.
– Garden & Gun has published a huge spread and story on Memphis. Woo! You can check out the whole thing in the April/May edition.
– Memphis Craft Beer is trying to determine the best beer in Memphis by hosting Malt Madness, and they’re down to the Elite 8. Vote for your favorite Memphis beer and see all the contenders here.
– Save the date: the Memphis Arts Festival is this Saturday, March 28 at Gaisman Park from 2 p.m. – 6 p.m. The family-friendly festival will offer local artisans, vendors, food trucks, performances, kids activities, and more.
– The Levitt Shell will announce their lineup on March 30.
– Broad Avenue coffee shop and retail boutique City & State opens this Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. I visited this weekend during their soft opening and the store is full of beautiful things and tasty coffee drinks. Read more about the shop here. Curious about what kinds of products City & State carries? Click through the slideshow above to see all my pictures from the store, or click here.
– Memphis Redbirds single game tickets went on sale this weekend. As soon as I get the promotions schedule, I’ll post a guide to the 2015 Season (now with new-and-improved stadium!)
– If you want to learn more about, donate to, or volunteer for the Pinch Pocket Park project (part of April’s Pinch District MEMFix event), go here.
– The April 11 Rock-n-Romp is the first show of the 10th season and opening day at Mud Island River Park. Bands are Short in the Sleeve, Buckles & Boots, and the Sheiks will play from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the grove next to the fountains. Go here for details.
– Think you make a mean gumbo? Sign up to be a competing team in the annual Rajun Cajun Crawfish Festival Gumbo Cook-Off. If you win, you get $1,000 and the coveted skillet trophy, plus you’ll be supporting the kids of Porter Leath. Contact Angela Meekins at 901-577-2500 x 1119 or visit porterleath.org to sign up.
– Memphis Fashion Week events start today. Go here to read more about MFW.
– Felicia Suzanne’s downtown restaurant celebrates 13 year in business with a series of events this week. From Wiseacre beer dinner on Tuesday to Taco Thursday ($2 tacos!) to a chance to cook with Chef Felicia and Chef Logan, check out all the events here.
– Germantown Community Theatre has announced its 2015-2016 season. Go here to see the lineup.
Know of something cool going on in Memphis? Submit it to the calendar here.