5 Things To Do In Memphis This Weekend: 1/2 – 1/4
Happy New Year and Happy Friday Memphis! Enjoy your first weekend of 2015 with these five things. You can also go here to see my month-by-month overview of 2015 with more than 100 events this upcoming year.
1. Soulful Creatures Mummy Exhibit, Brooks Museum, all weekend, $3-$7/free for kids under 6, all ages/kid-friendly
With artifacts from ancient Egypt and lots of actual bird, cat, and alligator mummies (among other animals,) you can learn all about animal mummies at the Brooks Museum. Kids can enjoy the interactive stations like an X-ray viewer. The exhibit lasts until Jan. 18 so be sure to check it out before then. Go here for hours and ticket info. Print out a $1 off museum admission coupon here.
2. Metal Museum Holiday Show and Sale, Metal Museum, all weekend, free to enter, all ages/kid-friendly
Find hand-forged and unique works from renowned metal artists across the country; this is the last weekend for this season's sale at the Metal Museum. It's free to enter the store, but consider buying a $6 ticket and checking out the Metal Museum's current exhibits while you're there.
3. Sumits Yoga Grand Opening, Sumits Yoga (6645 Poplar Ave.), Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., free, 18 and up
On Saturday and Sunday, Sumits Yoga will host free yoga classes at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. both days. Sumits Yoga is a brand-new yoga studio in the Carrefour Shopping Center at Kirby and Poplar. The classes are free, but donations for the Susan G. Komen Foundation and Perfect Match Animal Rescue are accepted. If you want more cheap ways to get moving this year, check out my full post here.
4. Memphis Tigers v. Tulane Green Wave, FedExForum, Saturday, 5 p.m., $7 – $50, all ages/kid-friendly
Get out to support the home team this weekend. Coming off a conference victory against Houston, the Tigers play again at home on Saturday night.
5. Preston Shannon show, Lafayette's Music Room, Saturday, 9:30 p.m., $5, all ages
If you're looking for that bluesy soul singing that makes Memphis world famous, catch a performance by Preston Shannon at Lafayette's Music Room on Saturday night. This legendary singer has been compared to Otis Redding and Bobby Womack.
– You can always check the (updated!) calendar for more events and ideas for things to do in Memphis. Have a great weekend and don't forget to tag your photos #ilovememphis and they might show up here on Monday.
If you don't already, and you want to, you can follow me on: