5 Things To Do This Weekend: 12/12 – 12/14
Happy Friday! Here are the 5 things you won't want to miss in Memphis this weekend.
1. Holiday Markets
There are quite a few going on. Here are the one-day-only markets I know about. Go here to read about ongoing markets that will open be open this weekend.
– Choose 901 Pop Up Shop, 50 Peabody Place Suite 101, Friday, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m., free to enter
T-shirts, Muddy's treats, Reverb Coffee, Memphis Type History books, and other swag, plus Amurica Photo and the Choose 901 team
– Southern Junkers Pop-Up Market, 2034 James Road, Saturday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., $5 admission
Vintage gifts, oddball junk art, jewelry, good old-fashioned soaps and candles and other handmade items
– Memphis Indie Holiday Market, Muddy's Grind House (585 S. Cooper Street), Saturday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., free to enter
The folks from Paper + Clay, Hoot + Louise, Caramelized and City and State have organized an indie craft/handmade market with local and regional vendors
2. Santa Claus Presents: Hip Hop Toy Drive, Hi-Tone Cafe (412 N. Cleveland), Friday, doors at 7 p.m., $5 or a new, unwrapped toy, 18 and up
Memphis hip hop artist Knowledge Nick (read my interview with him here) hosts the 3rd annual Hip Hop Toy Drive for Toys for Tots. There's a big lineup of Memphis hip-hop and rap artists including Iron Mic Coalition, S.O.U.L., Dick Solomon, Da Ladie, Ricache', Nina 9, Sleepy J Barksdale, Bartholomew Jones, and DJ Wyzlyfe Go here for links to sample their music.
3. Ballet Memphis' The Nutcracker, The Orpheum Theatre, Dec. 12 – 14, $9.50 – $74.50, all ages/kid-friendly
More than 100 dancers with magical sets and costumes make up Ballet Memphis' production of The Nutcracker. There are special preview events and chances for kids to meet the characters; go here to see that schedule.
4. Shakesbeer 2, Memphis Made Taproom (768 S. Cooper), Saturday, 7 p.m. – 10 p.m., $15, 21 and up
Normally Memphis Made's taproom is only open on Friday nights, but this Saturday they're hosting a fundraiser for Threepenny Theatre Company (3PT). Your ticket gets you food, beer, and a little Shakespeare, and it all benefits the 3PT, whose fun performances of Shakespeare and more are always pay-what-you-can.
5. Holiday Pajama Party, Brooks Museum, Sunday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
Put the little ones (and maybe yourself) in your warmest holiday PJs and head to the Brooks for a daytime pajama party. Inside, there will be holiday music, dance and ukelele lessons, holiday movies, gallery tours, and a giant dreidel. Don't forget to bring a coat, too, because there will also be horse drawn carriage rides through Overton Park and a Stax Music Academy light show. See the day's schedule here.
If none of these events butter your biscuit, check out blog's calendar, which I've just updated to include the 50+ events that were submitted to the calendar for this weekend. You can check out my live music picks for this weekend on this month's (updated) Listen Up post.
Have a lovely weekend, and don't forget to tag your photos #ILoveMemphis and they might appear on the blog.