Fan Guide to the Memphis Grizzlies 2014 – 2015 Season (Part One)
Merry Grizzmas, Memphis! Today is the first regular season game on our beloved Memphis Grizzlies’ schedule. We play the Minnesota Timberwolves at 7 p.m. at FedExForum.
With the help of local bloggers from Grizzly Bear Blues (henceforth referred to as GBB) I’ve updated the Fan Guide to the Grizzlies for the 2014 – 2015 Season.
1. Who are our players? Here are a few players you’re likely to hear about, with links to player profiles if you want to learn more.
#11 Mike Conley Mike is our trusty point guard. Read more about Mike on GBB.
#33 Marc Gasol Marc is from Spain, and he went to high school in Memphis. He’s the NBA’s 2013 Defensive Player of the Year. Nickname: “Big Spain”. Read more about Marc on GBB.
#50 Zach Randolph Zach is an NBA All-Star, a big guy who’s known to have a bit of a temper and a lot of heart. Nickname: “ZBo” . Read more about ZBo on GBB.
#15 Vince Carter The Grizz acquired this dunking legend this summer. Associated phrases “Vinsanity”. Read more about Vince on GBB.
#9 Tony Allen You may know T.A. from his Twitter account or from his “Grit and Grind” defensive playing style, a phrase that he coined that now defines a whole city. Nickname: “The Grindfather” or “T.A.” Read more about Tony on GBB.
#20 Quincy Pondexter Though he was out much of last year due to injury, we have high hopes for this guard. Nickname: “Q-Pon” . Read more about Quincy on GBB
#19 Beno Udrih What he lacks in minutes, he makes up for in enthusiasm. If you need a dose of pro-Memphis positivity, follow Beno on Twitter @BenoUdrih1. Read more about Beno on GBB
Check out the rest of the Player Previews on Grizzly Bear Blues here.
2. How much does it cost to go to games? I hate to give even a ballpark amount, because prices vary wildly, but if I must…
You can probably sit in the middle of the Terrace (upper level) of the arena for about $30ish. You can maybe sit in the middle of Plaza (lower level) for about $70ish. The price goes up or down a lot for either of these depending on how close you are to the court or which game it is, so don’t take my word for it.
If you want to see a list of top games or learn how to do a ticket lottery with friends (let’s face it, most of us can’t afford season tickets all for ourselves) this article will definitely help.
3. Where do I watch the games if I’m not going to FedExForum? If you want to go out to watch the game, you have plenty of options. Here are just a few:
– Green Beetle and Max’s Sports Bar in South Main downtown
– Dan McGuinness and Hog & Hominy in East Memphis
– Alchemy and Next Door in Cooper Young both have big bars and plenty of TVs
– The Bayou in Overton Square has screens set up facing all different directions and cheap drink specials
If you have any suggestions or information on good places to watch the game, drop me a line and I’ll make a bigger post about this because I know there are a ton more. Info on Official Grizz Watch Parties is on the way, too.
4. Where can I get Grizzlies gear? The official store is the Grizzlies Den in the FedExForum lobby or online. If you’re looking for one of those clever t-shirts, try Sache downtown, or online shops Hoop City, Memphicity Design, Memphis Threat, and Hieroglyph.
Oct. 29 v. Timberwolves – first 10,000 fans get a pink Grizzlies headband
Nov. 11 v. Lakers – first 5,000 fans get a Grizzlies Camo hat
Nov. 23 v. Clippers – first 5,000 fans get Thank You Cards
Dec. 5 v. Spurs – first 10,000 fans get Rally Flags
Dec. 19 v. Bulls – first 5,000 fans get Grizz Wrapping paper
Dec. 26 v. Rockets – first 3,000 fans get a Grizz scarf
Jan. 17 v. Trail Blazers – first 5,000 fans gets a Grizz Girl poster
Jan. 24 v. 76ers – first 10,000 fans get Rally Flags
Jan. 31 v. Thunder – first 3,000 fans get a Grizzlies Wrestling Belt
Feb. 27 v. Clippers – first 5,000 fans get Grizzlies Flip Flops
Mar. 14 v. Bucks – first 5,000 fans get a Marc Gasol Growth Chart
Mar. 27 v. Warriors – first 5,000 fans get a Tree Sapling
April 3 v. Thunder – first 5,000 fans get a Super Grizz Cape
April 4 v. Wizards – first 5,000 fans get a Z-Bow Tie
April 15 v. Pacers – everybody gets a poster