Foodnado: An Update
(Ed. Note: I have a few more things today to finish off our celebration of Memphis Food & Drink Week. Go here for the list of posts.)
Way back in January, I wrote two posts that gave an overview of what we could expect in 2014 in Memphis. A big part of that was the Memphis Foodnado, which is the name I gave to the exploding food and drink scene in Memphis. If you want to read the original posts (it’s kind of fun to see all that’s happened in the last nine months) go here and here.
We’re three-fourths of the way through 2014 and I figured it’s time to give an update. Which restaurants have opened? Which ones are we still waiting on? Here’s the scoop. Keep in mind that nine months ago none of these places were open; there’s lots of new stuff going on in Memphis and that’s exciting.
– Broadway Pizza is open. Their Mendenhall location features all the same favorites as the Broad Avenue establishment.
– Bounty will open in mid-October. Since January, we’ve learned that Bounty will be part market/butcher shop and part farm-to-table restaurant with innovative cocktails, and the location is at 2519 Broad Avenue.
– Jerry’s Sno Cones is going to open a new location, probably in Cordova. That’s about all we know right now.
– Lettuce Eat is open. It’s a fast casual salad place that’s technically in Germantown (in the Carrefour Shopping Center). I included it on my post about places to eat healthy in Memphis.
– Porcellino’s will open later this year. Chefs Andy Ticer and Michael Hudman announced their newest concept on the April I Love Memphis podcast. The spot, which is in Brookhaven Circle next to their other two restaurants, will be a butcher shop/cafe.
– Japanese restaruant Skewer is open. Go here to read my review.
– Whimsy Cookie Co is open, making the most adorably decorating cookies you could imagine.
– Aldo’s Pizza in midtown will open by the end of the year. The pizza joint’s second location will have a rooftop patio.
– Babalu Tacos and Tapas is open and is somehow the hottest place in Overton Square right now. Go here to read my post about it.
– Belly Acres isn’t opening for a while. Given the pictures of construction on the Facebook page, I’d be surprised if we see the kid-friendly gourmet burger restaurant in Overton Square open until much later this year or early next.
– Memphis Made’s tasting room will be open by the end of the year. A taproom right next to the I Love Memphis mural? I can’t think of anything better.
– Muddy’s Grindhouse is not quite open, but any day now! Kat Gordon announced the name for her second location on the August I Love Memphis podcast: a nod to coffee beans and our beloved Grizzlies. Read Eat Local Memphis’ preview post here.
– Lafayette’s Music Room and restaurant will open on October 2.
– LBOE will open later this fall. The “Last Burger On Earth” restaurant will be in the former location of Dublin House.
– Robata Ramen & Yakitori Bar is open.
– Schweinehaus is open. We didn’t even know about the German restaurant and beer hall when I wrote the year preview, and it’s on my short list of places to check out.
– Tart is open. Little did we know how much this Cooper Young French cafe/coffee bistro would charm us. Go here to read my review.
– The Truck Stop, the part restaurant-part food truck gathering place at the corner of Central and Cooper, is still going to happen, we just may not see construction for a few more months or an opening until well into next year.
High Cotton taproom on opening night.
– Agave Maria won’t be open until much later this year or next. It will be an upscale Latin food restaurant on Union Avenue in the old Papa Pia’s location, but there’s a long way to go in terms of renovations.
– Oshi will open at the beginning of October. It’s Jeff Johnson’s gourmet burger bar with an Asian flare, right across the street from Local.
– Riverfront Bar and Grill at Beale Street Landing is open, and it’s also on my short list of places to try.
– Sweetie Pie’s will open by the end of September. This soul food restaurant on Beale Street has its own reality show, on the OWN Network.
What’s new that I left out? Any new restaurant announcements that I missed?