The No-Frills Guide to Brunch in Downtown Memphis

Posted by Holly Whitfield | March 27th 2014 10265 28

In preparation for this post, I did some research on brunch guides from around the U.S., and I found a lot of treatises on brunch as a civic institution. For example: how people will wait in the wind and cold and heat and hail for a table at a popular brunch spot, or how whole friend groups will be ripped apart by differing opinions on omelettes. And while I’m sure there is a time for me to wax poetic about Memphis brunch, now is not that time.

Automatic Slim’s chicken and waffles.

Now is the time to help you quickly answer that very important question: Where do you want to go to brunch? I figure you need to know where these places are, when brunch is available, how much the booze is, and if there’s a patio (in case we ever get a spring).

With that in mind, here is your I Love Memphis No-Frills guide to brunch in downtown Memphis. Click here for a guide to Midtown brunch spots. Click here for a guide to East Memphis brunch spots. Scroll down to the bottom of the post for FAQs.

Automatic Slim’s (83 S. 2nd St.), Sat. and Sun., 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., $2.50 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, small patio, Note: they have mimosa bongs.

Alcenia’s (317 N. Main St.), Saturday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m, no booze, no patio. Read my full post on Alcenia’s lunch here.

Bardog Tavern (73 Monroe Ave.), Sat. and Sun., opens at noon, $4 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, no patio.

Bardog Tavern Bloody Mary. Photo via @bardogtavern.

Bleu (221 S. Third St.) Sunday, $10 Bloody Mary/$8 Mimosa, big patio. Read the full post on Bleu’s regular menu here.

Blind Bear (119 S. Main St.), Sat. and Sun., noon – 6 p.m., $3 Mimosas, small patio, Note: they serve breakfast shots of Jameson/butterscotch schnapps with an OJ and bacon chaser. Read the full post on Blind Bear here.

Cafe Pontotoc (314 S. Main St.) Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., $3 Bloody Marys/Mimosas.

Capriccio Grill (149 Union Ave.) Sunday, 11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., no patio. Note: this is the famous Peabody brunch buffet, and I highly recommend reservations.

eighty3 (83 Madison Ave.), Sat. and Sun., 10:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., no patio. Read more about eighty3 here.

Flight (39 S. Main St.), Sunday, 9:45 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., prices vary, patio.
Flight has a separate brunch menu and drinks on Sundays.

Local Gastropub (95 S. Main St.), Sat. and Sun., 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., $4 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, small patio.

Majestic Grille (145 S. Main St.), Sat. and Sun., 11 a.m – 2:30 p.m. (opens at 10:30 a.m. on Sundays), $4 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, big patio, note: sometimes has live music on the balcony. Read the full post on Majestic Grille here.

Paulette’s (50 Harbor Towne Sq.), Sat. and Sun., 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., no patio.

Pearl’s Oyster House (299 S. Main St.), Sunday, 10:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., $5.50 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, small patio.

Rizzo’s Diner (492 S. Main), Sat. and Sun., 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. (until 3 p.m. on Sundays), big patio. Read the full post on Rizzo’s Diner here.

South of Beale (361 S. Main St.), Sunday, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., $4 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, big patio. Read the full post on SOB’s brunch here.

South of Beale

Tamp & Tap (122 Gayoso), Sat. and Sun., 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., only beer, small patio, note: has live bluegrass music. Read the full post on Tamp & Tap’s regular menu here.

Texas de Brazil (150 Peabody Place), Sunday, 12 p.m. – 3 p.m., one Mimosa is included in brunch buffet price, no patio.

Trolley Stop Market (704 Madison Ave.), Saturday, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., only beer, no patio.

If you decide to go to any of these places, I’d love to see your brunch pics! Tag them #ilovememphis and they might show up on a future brunch guide or photo roundup.

I Love Memphis No-Frills Brunch Guide FAQs
1. What is considered brunch? For this list, the restaurant must have a Saturday and/or Sunday brunch menu different from their usual breakfast/lunch menu, and they should serve alcohol. Alcenia’s is one exception. I figure the Ghetto-Aid is strong enough to count.
2. You left off my favorite brunch/weekend lunch place and I am deeply offended. Why did you leave it off? Please don’t be offended. I looked for brunches high and low, but if it didn’t make it on the list, I probably didn’t leave if off on purpose. Just shoot me an email or leave me a comment and I’ll add anything that fits the qualifications. There are loads of wonderful places for breakfast and lunch that also serve on weekends, but it needs to be a specifically “brunch” menu.
3. Why just downtown? I’ll be publishing brunch guides for other areas of town in the coming weeks. We only want to bite off what we can chew. If you have a favorite brunch spot in Midtown, East Memphis, or the suburbs, please let me know!

Comments

1. Brittany says:

Awesome list. Happy to have some new places to check out for my favorite meal 🙂 Some good ones outside of downtown are Side Street, Bayou, Jack MaGoo's, Half Shell, Celtic, Blue Monkey, Patrick's, Dan McGuiness, RP Tracks. And for non-alcoholic, you can't beat The Pancake Shop.

2. MarkB says:

When you get to Midtown, don't miss Boscos, Bayou Bar & Grill, Bar Louie, Beauty Shop, Sweet Grass, Young Ave. Deli and Celtic Crossing.  Can you tell I like brunch?  Appreciate the downtown selections too…have been to many of them.  Also love the Flying Saucer's Bloody Mary Bar on Sunday.

3. Brad says:

Blind Bear has a small patio out front.

4. Dana says:

Chiwawa!!

5. Jojo says:

Great post. But I agree with what others have said – there are many terrific brunch options outside of Downtown. Half Shell has a fantastic brunch on Sat & Sun til 3. Owen Brennan's is also terrific. And Boscos is one of the best in the city. Really surprised (and disappointed) your list didn't include spots outside of Downtown. For many of is, brunch is one of those roll-out-of-bed and go to the nearest place where you can nurse your hangover kind of events. If you're living in East Memphis, the last thing you feel like doing is driving 30 minutes when you have amazing brunch spots right outside your front door.

6. Holly Whitfield says:

Jojo, please check number 3 under the FAQs.

7. Skeptimist says:

Let's talk about responsible commenting. Try reading the entire post before you talk about how disappointed you are in the coverage. Not only is it offensive to the poster, but it's misleading to the other readers who might also read your comments.

8. Kelli says:

Maybe this is for a future post, but can we get a rating of the Bloody Mary at these spots? I find they are hit or miss. Too much pepper or not enough veggies or other things is a failed drink, IMO :).

9. markb says:

Just my opinion Kelli, but the Absolut Pepper Bloody Mary at the Bayou Bar & Grill is the best one in the MidSouth.

10. markb says:

I hate spell check. Should be Absolut Peppar.

11. melanie says:

Awesome info. I can forward this to people coming into town for the upcoming April and May events in Memphis. I'm glad to see an expanded list. I mostly go to restuarants that my Memphis native friends suggest. Now i have a plethora of spots to try regardless if its downtown or where i reside in east memphis!!! Thanks Holly

12. MrsNoLongerSINGLEton says:

Thank you for this list!!!! Can't wait to see the list for other areas around town.

A few places to consider Amerigos, Bonefish. I have seen the menu but haven't tried either. Owen Brennan's has a wonderful Jazz brunch full of seafood, omelet station and mimos!

13. Gigi Ballester says:

I live out near Lakeland/Wolfchase and is worth the drive to go Downtown.  My favorites are Capriccio and Paulette's!  Texas De Brazil is great for brunch or lunch also.  Looking forward to seeing a Wolfchase/Cordova/Germantown/Collierville listings.
    Will be checking out Majestic Grille and eighty3 soon!

14. Andria says:

I don't care for Bosco's brunch. I love, love, love eggs and they can't seem to get the eggs right. It's also not very filling.

15. Debbie steele says:

Ellendale Grill in Bartlett has Brunch on Sunday from 10 to 3..it is really good, 4.00 bloody Mary and mimosas

16. […] your I Love Memphis No-Frills guide to brunch in midtown Memphis. If you’re looking for the downtown guide, go here. If you’re looking for East Memphis/other areas, that guide is on the way. Please scroll […]