Get Ready for Redbirds Baseball
It's time for Memphis baseball. This means fireworks shows, BBQ nachos, the very hilarious Rockey the Redbird mascot, the best minor league ballpark in the country, and of course, great baseball from our Triple-A team, the Redbirds. Here's the lowdown on the 2014 season.
It's easy to forget that you're in the middle of a city during a Redbird's game. The stadium is breezy, the food is awesome, and tickets are inexpensive ($6 – $23). There's a playground, people chill on blankets on the bluff, kids run around, and you can watch future MLB stars in action. Here's the ticket pricing chart. Note that you can save money by buying 24 hours in advance.
The Redbirds 2014 home games start on Friday, April 11 with an evening game against the Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs Triple-A affiliate). After that, the Birds play at home several times every week until August.
Check out this lovely, heartfelt blog post by Memphis baseball fan Wes Milligan about why he loves the Redbirds. Then, if you still need more reasons to go, know that the Redbirds regularly have special promotions during home games. Here are just a few of the ones scheduled for this season:
– Fireworks at every Saturday home game plus Memorial Day and Independence Day weekends (14 firework shows total)
– Block Parties in the plaza at AutoZone Park every Friday game starting two hours before the first pitch, with live music and beer specials
– Bobbleheads at four different games, including Kolten Wong (May 16), Stan Musial (June 6), Michael Wacha (July 18), and Carlos Martinez (August 22) to the first 2,000 fans
– Free "AZP 15th Anniversary" t-shirts on April 11 and free "Feeling Lucky" t-shirts on June 13, both to the first 3,000 fans
– Bring your dog to the park for free (with a paid owner) and see Jake the Diamond Dog and eat $1 hot dogs on April 13
– Free Redbirds beer steins to the first 2,000 fans on August 8
200 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38103
Note: this post is an updated version of an I Love Memphis post from 2012.