Tuesday News Update: Lunchtime Edition
Today in Memphis news, Baltimoreans have good reasons to visit us, East Memphis has a sci-fi themed pizza place, and the newspaper is pink.
All that (and more) is in today's Memphis news update.
Today's photo was taken at the Ronald McDonald House's Big Scoop Day last Saturday by @christieason via Instagram. If you'd like to see your Memphis photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis. Also note that I Love Memphis' new Instagram handle is @hrwhitfield
– The National Civil Rights Museum announced the 2013 Freedom Award honorees this week. On November 6, Mary Robinson (first woman president of Ireland), Geoffrey Canada (Harlem Children's Zone CEO), and Earl Graves, Sr. (Founder of Black Enterprise magazine) will be here in town to receive the awards.
– The Baltimore Sun gave its readers nine reasons to come to Memphis, just in time for Southwest's new flight offerings from Baltimore to Memphis. Anything you think they should add to the list?
– Beale Street Landing took down some of their construction fences so visitors, runners, walkers, everybody and their dog can have access to that part of the riverfront.
– The East Memphis Mellow Mushroom has landed.
– Did the Commercial Appeal put the reds in with the whites today? Nope, they just printed on pink paper to mark October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
– Finally, I'll be compiling a guide to Halloween events this year very soon. If yours isn't on the calendar, be sure to submit here or email me to let me know ASAP.
Have a tip for I Love Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.