Tuesday New Update: The Overton Square Parking Garage is Open
Today in Memphis, getting from your parking spot to Overton Square will no longer feel like trekking the Oregon Trail, Midnight Madness will be on national television, and the results from Saturday's Battledish are in.
All that (and more) is in today's Memphis news update.
Today's photo was taken at Overton Square by @johnrstevenson via Instagram. If you'd like to see your Memphis photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis. Also note that I Love Memphis' new Instagram handle is @hrwhitfield .
– Glory, glory hallelujah. The Overton Square parking garage is now open. It will be free to park in the garage for the month of October. Starting in November, a $3 flat fee will be charged between 6 p.m. and 4 a.m. Daytime parking will remain free for the forseeable future.
– Overton Square is getting another retail shop. By early November, Sew Memphis (currently at 688 S. Cox) should be settled in and ready to open up in a new higher-traffic location at 2075 Madison Avenue. They sell fabrics, including hard-to-find designer textiles, and teach sewing classes.
– Design Firm A2H is hosting an art show and presentation on the works of Edward H. Perry at their gallery in Lakeland this Saturday. Perry was an alumunus of Memphis College of Art who created three-dimensional wood pieces and geometric paintings. The exhibition is open until May of next year.
– Last week, MBQ Inside Memphis Business magazine gave out the first Memphis Innovation Awards. The winners are: Project Green Fork, Crosswtown Development Project, Silicone Arts Laboratories, Peer Power, and Dr. Edward Chaum of the UTHSC Hamilton Eye Institute.
– Memphis Tigers basketball Midnight Madness will be one of nine schools' programs broadcast on ESPNU on October 18. Who's going to the FedEx Forum to ring in the new season (and maybe be on TV) that night?
Have a tip for I Love Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.