Tuesday News Update: Summer Ave. is My Poplar Edition
Welcome back, y'all. I hope you had a great long weekend.
Today in Memphis, a new brewery / taproom opens, a clothier closes, a museum gets a makeover and congratulations are in order. All of that and more is in today's Memphis news update.
Instagrammer @billsimmers snapped this picture at the Delta Fair, which is happening at the Agricenter this week. If you'd like to see your Memphis photos featured here, please tag them #ilovememphis on Instagram.
– Wiseacre Brewery is up and running, which means that their Broad Ave. taproom is open. It's open Thursdays and Fridays from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. and on Saturdays from 1 p.m. until 8 p.m., and it's credit card only. If you want to try their brews outside of their taproom, I know that Tamp and Tap and Chiwawa have them on tap right now.
– Congratulations to former Memphis Tiger D.J. Stephens and his girlfriend – they welcomed their first child last week (and the Instagram photos are adorable).
– Congrats also to Memphis songwriter Myla Smith: her new record got big props from Billboard Magazine.
– There's another DishCrawl coming up on October 23, and this one is a bus tour to a handful of Memphis' best soul food restaurants. There are still tickets available, but don't wait – DishCrawls tend to sell out.
– Alas: Shelton Clothier, a men's clothing store on Main St., is closing its doors after 8 years in business.
– The Memphis Fire Museum is getting a makeover, thanks to a $481,740 FEMA grant.
– Creme de Memph has some pretty great photos of Temple Israel Cemetery. I had never heard of it, but I'm definitely going to check it out now.
– Does anyone know where I can score one of these stickers? Because it's true. So very, very true.
– You don't have to feel bad about shaking haters off because, according to this study, haters are gonna hate.
– Lastly, I'm back in Memphis, so if you emailed me or submitted events to the blog's calendar or asked that something be added to the Fall Events Guide, I'll get to it today. Thanks for submitting and, I'm sorry for the delay.
Have a tip for I Love Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.