Monday News Update: Life is Beautiful, Life is Weird Edition
Happy Monday, y'all.
Today in Memphis, congratulations are in order, as is a new Huey burger. Also, you might want to cancel your plans tonight in favor of a little road trip.
All of that (and more) is in today's Memphis news update:
You said it, strange pony car.
Photo by @Savvyrowe via Instagram. If you'd like to see your local Instagram photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis.
– If you're into driving to Clarksdale, Miss. tonight, you can catch comedian Tig Notaro performing at the Shack Up Inn.
– Congratulations are in order for University of Memphis basketball players Antonio Barton, Joe Jackson and Chris Crawford. All three graduated early over the weekend. Also, congratulate D.J. Stephens – he posted an Instagram photo over the weekend announcing that he had proposed to his longtime girlfriend, Stacey. Congrats, you crazy kids!
– Speaking of U of M athletes, quarterback Jacob Karam is #15 on Yahoo's list of College Football's 25 Most Intriguing Quarterbacks of 2013.
– In today's edition of Hog and Hominy Can Do No Wrong, the restaurant has been named as one of Bon Appetit's 50 Best New Restaurants.
– Need a break? Scroll through these vintage photos of Overton Square during its first heyday. Bonus points if you see someone you know (like your parents) partying at TGI Friday's.
– Lastly, a bit of tangentally Memphis-related reading: "Waffles and FedEx: An American Tale".
Have a tip for I Love Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.