Wednesday News Update: Kelly English Explains, Free Food Contests, BOM Voting, New Amy LaVere and More
Happy Wednesday, y'all.
Today in Memphis, Kelly English explains himself (and his reservations policy), voting starts for the Best of Memphis, Amy LaVere has a new video and there are two chances to win free food. Also, there are slug burgers.
All of that (and more) is in today's Memphis news update:
– Voting is open in the Memphis Flyer's annual Best of Memphis poll from today until July 28. If you're feeling kind, I Love Memphis is up for best blog and best Twitter account (though I'll totally understand if you vote for Tony Allen).
– Restaurant Iris chef Kelly English has some very thoughtful things to say about restaurant reservations on CNN. Mostly, he's never going to give your table to Tony Parker. Ever.
– In free food news, it's Out of the Bleu week at Bleu restaurant downtown, and they're giving away a $50 gift certificate. Also, Chiwawa is having a contest to name their new tacos. If your name is chosen, you'll get a $50 gift card.
– The Community Foundation of Greater Memphis is now accepting applications for this year's Give365 grants. The theme is "Home is Where the Heart Is", and they're looking for projects that will make neighborhoods better.
– Two things I didn't know before I read this story: 1) Slug burgers are a thing and 2) There's a contest for the eating of said burgers in the Mid-South.
– Check out Amy LaVere's new video, shot downstairs at the Brass Door downtown.
– Lastly, Fly on the Wall would like to call your attention to the seriously intense salad bar signage at Elliot's downtown. Only you can "avoid spillage distasters from occuring".
Have a tip for I Love Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.