Wednesday News Update: To Go Smirkingly Into That Good Night Edition
Today in Memphis, we make Lionel Hollins-style disapproving faces at the coach's ouster, the Front Street Deli reopens, Nashville is overrun by Hollywood types and the Grizz Girls are holding dance classes. Also, porch poodle!
All of that and more is in today's Memphis news update:
Close up of the new mural on the McLean underpass by Instagrammer @jonathanathan. If you'd like to see your Memphis photos on ILM, tag them #ilovememphis.
– First the big news: we all know this by now, but Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins is no longer with us. He's been released into…I don't know, probably the arms of another team who won't love him like we loved him. I raise my coffee cup and smirk disapprovingly at my computer in your honor, coach.
– If you need to feel positive about the Grizz, I somehow just now found these two articles about the Season That Was. This one's from Grantland, and this one – largely about Tony Allen – is from the New York Times.
– Last bit of Grizzlies news, I promise: if you've got any interest in being a Grizz Girl, team choreographer Tamara Moore is hosting some open pre-audition clinics / dance classes. You don't have to try out if you go to these classes, but they'll probably help.
– Good news, downtowners: the Front Street Deli, which has been closed since the death of its owner eariler this year, is going to reopen.
– Porch poodle! (Spotted in Cooper-Young by a Memphis Redditor.)
– Congrats to both St. Jude and LeBohneur for making the U.S. News and World Report's list of the U.S.'s top-rated children's hospitals again this year.
– Nashville is apparently being invaded by Hollywood A-listers and its residents (at least the ones commenting on the article) don't like it one bit.
– Ground has been broken on the new Hattiloo Theatre building in Overton Square. The Daily News has the details.
– It's no Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil (and really, what is?) but "The Ultimate Thriller" is coming to the Orpheum in July.
Know of something going on in Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.