Monday News Update: Silky Sullivan Memorial Edition
Welcome to the working week, y'all.
Today, we speculate on whether or not the Grizzlies will break up with Lionel Hollins, listen to a trio of sportswriters give Memphis major props, and celebrate the life of Beale St. legend Silky Sullivan.
All of that (and more!) is in today's Memphis news update.
Instagrammer @mook76 captured this picture of storms rolling into Memphis over the weekend. If you'd like to see your Instagram photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis.
– Memphis has lost a legend: Silky Sullivan, owner of Silky's on Beale, keeper of goats, passed away on Friday. There will be a parade (what else?) to celebrate his life on Beale Street at 2 p.m. today.
– Will he stay or will he go? Over the weekend, it seemed like Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins was definitely going, especailly after management gave him permission to talk to other teams, but today, he's saying that he wants to stay. I'm conflicted – I don't want them to break up, but I understand if they do. More on this one as it develops.
– Speaking of the Grizz and Memphis, we're all over the latest Bill Simmons / David Jacoby / Jalen Rose podcast on Grantland. They loved Memphis, but they really loved Gus's.
– The Oblivians' first new record in 16 years comes out tomorrow. Yay!
– The Memphis episode of Burgerland premieres at 8 p.m. tonight on the Travel Channel. Alex's Tavern (which is featured in the show) is hosting a watch party.
– Here's a preview of the menu at Ink, the restaurant that's taking the place of Cortona in Cooper-Young.
Know of something going on in Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.