Thursday Memphis News Update: New Memphians, a New Holiday, a New Outdoor Theatre, and Newby’s Collects Tornado Donations
Happy Thursday, y'all.
Today in Memphis, the Levitt Shell shows start, a new holiday has been declared (it's tomorrow), and D.J. Stephens is a beloved freak of nature. Also, we have details on where to drop off donations for tornado victims in Oklahoma.
But first, check out this photo that @lisabertagna shot of the Sons of Mudboy (featuring Luther and Cody Dickinson) during their weekly Wednesday night show at Minglewood Hall.
If you'd like to see your Instagram photos featured here, please tag them #ilovememphis.
– Speaking of the Brothers Dickinson, the North Mississippi All-Stars are playing the first show of this year's Levitt Shell concert series tonight at 6:30 p.m. If you're headed to the show but don't want to pack a picnic, Chiwawa on Madison is offering a pretty sweet to-go special on nights when there are shows at the Shell.
– If you'd like to do something to help out the tornado victims in Moore, Oklahoma, Newby's on Highland is collecting needed items for the Red Cross through the end of the day today.
– AC Wharton has used his mayoral powers to declare tomorrow Grizzlies Friday, a day when we show our love for the hometeam by donning our team colors.
– Also, Bluff City Bakery and La Michoacana have joined forces to make the most epic of all basketball-themed baked goods, the Grizzlies Ice Cream Cookie Slider.
– The headline says it all: D.J. Stephens is a freak of nature.
– Congrats to Broad Ave. on receiving a $350,000 grant from ArtPlace America to turn their watertower into a work of art and transform the loading dock below it into an outdoor theater.
– Lastly, according to a report out today, Memphis has gained population since 2010 and is the 20th largest city in the country. Welcome, new people!
Know of something going on in Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.