Thursday News Update: Time to Grind Edition
Happy game day!
Today in Memphis, we've got a playoff game to watch. We've also got a chance to do good by eating out, another Kroger renovation, a sweet personal ad, and a very interesting art project. Also, Hot Wing Fest is moving to Sunday. All of that and more is in today's Memphis news update:
But first, here's a reminder from Instagrammer @sarahbakere:
If you'd like to see your Memphis photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis.
– Congratulations to Marc Gasol on winning the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year. Because, as we all know by now, "Marc Gasol" is Spanish for "Man Beast". Tonight's playoff game at the FedExForum starts at 8:30 p.m. If you're going, wear white (and don't forget your towels).
– Same place, same time, different day: the Southern Hot Wing Festival has been preemptively moved from Saturday to Sunday due to predictions of rain.
– Most of the missed connections on Memphis Craigslist are kinda creepy, but occasionally, there's a really sweet one. Like this one.
– Need a good excuse to eat out today? Here's one: it's Dine Out for Life Day, and restaurants all over Memphis are donating a portion of their sales to Friends for Life.
– Congrats to Wooddale High students Darius Hooker and Wesley Carter: their raw egg rocket earned them an invitation to the White House Science Fair. Also, how cool is it that Wooddale has an aerospace program?
– Good news, midtowners and downtowners: Kroger is turning their magic grocery store improvement ray on the store at Poplar and Cleveland.
– Alas: DIY venue 1372 Overton Park is closing soon, but not before an epic show with Ex-Cult and the Men on Monday night.
– This is really interesting / thought provoking / cool: a Memphis College of Art professor is getting national recognition for her photo project "Wait Watchers".
– Aww, my beloved WEVL was the subject of a Jeopardy question yesterday.
– Today, I leave you with this Grizz-related message that Memphis Redditor clouchey spotted at Outdoors Inc.