Wednesday News Update: Grizz Win, New Restaurants, ArtSpace and Free Waxes
Today, we've got a big win for the Grizz, good news for artists, free waxes and two new restaurants opening this week. Here's your Wednesday Memphis news update.
There's a Grizz fan in there somewhere. @Shellyealbrecht snapped this at last night's game between the Grizzlies and the Portland Trailblazers. If you were one of the three people not watching, the Grizz won 102-97.
– Art of Science, an annual art show that pairs artists with St. Jude researchers to create original works, is looking for artists for this year's show.
– In a survey done by people who have obviously never been to the Buccaneer, Memphis was declared one of America's least hipster-friendly cities.
– Want to get waxed for free? European Wax Center is opening a second Memphis location, and to celebrate, they're giving away waxes. All you have to do to sign up is go here, enter your zip code and click "join grand opening guest list".
– This has absolutely nothing to do with Memphis, but this man's obituary is one of the greatest things I've ever read (plus, it mentions a love of Benton's bacon).
– Have a good story about Overton Park? The park conservancy is collecting stories and photos of the park for publication on their website.
– Lastly, here's some great news for Memphis artists: the ArtSpace project (aka the United Warehouse on S. Main) has received a 15-year PILOT tax incentive to redevelop the building into live/work/gallery space for artists.
Know of something happening in Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.