Wednesday News Update: James Beard Nominees, Fair Grounds Plans and the Place to Meet Your Match
Today in Memphis, we've got James Beard nominees, a demolition, a possibly awesome concert and a few good reasons to buy a tent.
All of that and more in today's Memphis news update:
Today's photo is a little piece of art on a doorway in a downtown alley, spotted by eagle-eyed reader @bethanyjharrell. If you'd like to see your Memphis photos here, tag them #ilovememphis on Instagram.
– First, the big food news: Memphis got two nods on the list of 2013 James Beard Award nominees. Hog and Hominy is in the running for Best New Restaurant and its owners, Andy Ticer and Michael Hudman, are nominated for Best Chef(s) Southeast.
– Go ahead and buy a tent – the Bonnaroo lineup has been released. Highlights include the Wu-Tang Clan, Paul McCartney, Kendrick Lamar, Bjork, and the modern master of the slow jam, R. Kelly.
– The traffic light cameras in Germantown are turned off at the moment, but please don't use it as an excuse to drive all crazy.
– Here's some news about some possible plans for the Fairgrounds, the most notable of which is the impending demolition of the Coliseum.
– If this somewhat dubious Facebook event is to be believed, Greg Cartwright (Oblivians, Reigning Sound) is playing at Bar DKDC tomorrow.
– Apparently, if you live in the South East, Wal-Mart is the place to meet your future Craigslist missed connection. Better than "at home", I suppose (ahem, Indiana).
Tell me something: If you've got a tip for I Love Memphis, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.