Monday News Update: Memphis Isn’t Miserable Edition
Today in Memphis, we've got an 18 game winning streak, two TV appearances, and a reason to contact your state representative. Also, if you missed the Hi-Tone's last show, you can listen to it via the magic of the Internet.
All of that and more is in today's Memphis news update.
Instagrammer @dbsflatline spotted this "health department approved" mobile tattoo center rolling around Memphis over the weekend. If you'd like to see your photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis on Instagram.
– For the first time in God knows how long, Memphis did not make Forbes' list of America's most miserable cities.
– The Tigers now have an 18 game winning streak and the C-USA regular season title, but somehow, very few national sports media are impressed. Maybe they just haven't seen this epic photo of DJ Stephens hurdling two rows of fans in persuit of a loose ball.
– Or possibly, they haven't seen the U of M's Harlem Shake video.
– On a downer note, the Knoxville News Sentinel has put together a list of all of the Tennessee programs that will be affected when/if the sequester happens.
– The bill to allow wine (and thus, high gravity beers) to be sold in Tennessee grocery stores is at a tipping point. If this is something you're passionate about, contact your state representative.
– In case you missed it, Memphis dancer Lil Buck was on the Colbert Report last week.
– Speaking of Memphians on TV, Justin Timberlake will be on Saturday Night Live on March 9th.
– Congratulations to all of this year's ADDY award winners. Great job, y'all.
– Finally, this is the last week to vote for Memphis as Southern Living's Tastiest Town. The rankings are now hidden, but Memphis was in second place. You can vote once per day per email address until Thursday, Feb. 28.
Tell me something: If you've got a tip for I Love Memphis, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.