Learn New Skills with Guild Local

Posted by Holly Whitfield | January 9th 2013 3684 0

If you've ever wanted to learn how to make paper or cheese or pick up some basic self defense skills or teach others how dance or make jewelry or cook macarons, a new, Memphis-based teaching collective called Guild Local wants to help.

Guild Local Logo, Memphis, Tenn.

The site, which was launched by Memphians Cole Taylor, Mark Horrocks and Taylor Berger, is like school, but more fun. The idea is anyone can sign up to teach – or sign up to take – a class from a local expert in the topic of their choosing.

Though the site just launched this week, Guild Local is working with locals like Jamie Harmon (of the Amurica Photo Booth), Whitton Farms, Church Health Center, Bluff City Coffe and GrowMemphis to provide the kind of classes that will make you excited about learning.


The price of each class is set by its instructor, but the founders are hoping to keep classes in the $25 – $40 range so that they're super affordable. The class instructors get to keep   60 percent of the fee and the Guild keeps the other 40 percent, of which a portion will be donated to a local charity.

For those looking to teach, Guild Local helps find venues for people who don't have them and manages class sign ups. Once a teacher finishes a class, the people in the class are able to rank the teacher so that future students know what to expect.

To sign up to take or teach a class, visit GuildLocal.com

Author: Holly Whitfield

I write about what’s going on with Memphis music, food, arts, events, sports, people, and culture. Memphians love Elvis and barbeque with a passion that must be seen to be believed, but there is so much more to this place.

Show Comments


  1. This is great! Two friends of mine started the same service in my hometown of Rochester, NY called Rochester Brainery.

  2. Bonnie Mc says:

    Sounds like a great idea! Looking forward to see what's available. 

  3. […] Learn New Skills with Guild Local, I Love Memphis […]

Leave a Comment