Wednesday News Update: Maybe Someday Edition
Today in Memphis, there's a birthday, another Memphis makeover and a lot of maybe-possibly-someday plans. Also, Elvis week is nigh, y'all.
But first, check out this photo of Broad Ave. at sunset:
Photo by Leslie Stubblefield. If you'd like to see your photos here, tag them #ilovememphis on Instagram (or email them to me).
– Happy third birthday, South of Beale. I rasie my adult cherry lime-ade to you. (If you're in the mood to celebrate with them, they'll have birthday specials through the weekend). It's also Jonathan Lyons' birthday – someone get the man a party hat.
– Elvis Week is nigh, and it's a big one – 2012 marks the 35th anniversary of Elvis' death. To celebrate, Segway Experience of Memphis is giving a 25 percent discount to anyone who takes the tour dressed as Elvis or Priscilla.
– Yay! There's a second Memphis episode of "What Not to Wear", this one featuring Deborah Patton from Backbeat Tours. The episode will air Aug. 7 at 9 p.m. on TLC.
– Frank Murtaugh (from the Flyer) is trying to figure out which player should be the face of the Memphis Grizzlies. I'm pretty sure there's only one real choice (ahem, Tony Allen), but he lays out the case for several others.
– There's talk of turning the James Lee House in Victorian Village into a bed and breakfast, which could be very cool if it's done right.
– There's also talk of water taxis on the Mississippi between Beale St. and the Pyramid. It could happen, but know that the CA story I'm linking to starts with "Someday, a couple of years from now, tourists might…".