365 Things to Do in Memphis, No. 1: Make a Resolution

Posted by Holly Whitfield | January 1st 2012 968 25

For this year’s Project 365, I’ve decided to do 365 Things to Do in Memphis. I’m hoping it’ll be a daily guide to getting out of the house, trying new things and having fun around town.

Since today is New Year’s Day, you first assignment is to make a Memphis resolution.

365 Things to do in Memphis, Day 1: Have more fun

It doesn’t have to be anything crazy – just decide that in 2012, you’re going to do one thing that you’ve always wanted to do in Memphis. Maybe you’ve never been to Graceland. Perhaps you’ve never had a supreme from Jerry’s Snow Cone. Whatever it is, today’s the day to commit to doing it.

Leave your Memphis resolution the comments, and we’ll help keep each other honest.

Comments

1. Andy says:

I will go to Uncle Lou's

2. Janet says:

I want to go to Uncle Lou’s, too. Never been & my son says it’s great!

3. Gina says:

I will go to a locally owned Memphis restaurant such as Trolley Stop.

4. Jen says:

I will go to Rendezvous for BBQ!

5. Peggy says:

I resolve to visit the Firemen’s Museum. I hear it’s a great place and I’ve never been there

6. nancy smith says:

I'm bringing my granddaughter to Memphis Feb 17-20 for her high school graduation gift.  Any suggestions for that time period.  We are coming to see Graceland and do a riverride but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

7. Aletha Ruffin says:

I resolve to be prosperous,prepared, and purposed!

8. Kim says:

I will go to the Civil Rights Museum

9. Philip says:

I resolve to support more local businesses. I'm going to start by drinking more J. Brooks Coffee!

10. David says:

I will visit the Stax Museum and check out St. Blues Guitars downtown.

11. Tessa says:

I will go on a ride a pedal boat down the Mississippi

12. Allison says:

Ride the greenline on my new bicycle!!

13. Clara says:

I am happy you have selected this project. I live in Wisconsin and will be moving to Memphis soon.
    I have purchased a house there. I will be reviewing your list to get ideas for enjoying myself in the new
    location. What is Memphis know for beside the Blue…The civil rights movement and great food…
    Keep me posted… have fun in 2012. Have a  Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Clara says:

I will visit a coin show in Memphis

15. Kimberly says:

I resolve to eat at more local restaurants and attend more plays at our awesome theatres!

16. david says:

Just a heads up that you're going to need 366 things to do in Memphis this time; it's a leap year.  The extra day is a nice bonus for all of us, and hopefully you'll have a great suggestion for a fun way to fill it!

17. Emily says:

This year, I will have a baby! (hoping in the next few days…)

18. Gayle Fowler says:

Thanks for doing this and publishing it on FB. I have lived here since 1986 and I know there are many things I have not done in Memphis. I didn't even know some of these things exsisted. I am going to try and experience more things in Memphis and share them with my friends that live in other cities.

19. Cathie says:

my niece came for a visit this last July/August & we trekked around everywhere downtown—1—riverboat ride (boring except for the guided tour detailing yearsss of historical events), 2—toured the River Museum at Mud Island (too much to read, wished for more info on the headphones), luved the river walk, 3—caught the Peabody ducks marching to the elevator & saw the Mayor present an award there (after 34 years of luving in Memphis, the ducks are still fun), 4—ate at the Revendous (overrated), but luved the historical photos & memorabilia on the walls, 5—walked down Beale St at sunset (cool) & listened to excellent blues at BB Kings for an hour & the food looked sooo much better than the Rendevous. we spent 6 hours one day at Graceland, touring everything Elvis—the guides & clerks/waiters could not have been nicer—they must receive a pep talk or happy pill every day. we luved meeting people from all over the world at Graceland! my niece is gonna come back cause we didn’t even go to Sun Studio, Stax Museum, the Brooks or Dixon, etc etc etc.

20. Joan says:

Hey, typo in next to last paragraph. It’s going to be 2017!