A Massive Memphis Flood Update, a Poster Contest and a Special Jack O Show
Alycia Carter is an attorney by day and a natural health blogger by night. She’s also friends with Cardboard Tony Allen.
In other news:
– Flood Update – The Mississippi River has risen above 41 feet and the Wolf River is spilling over. Here’s what you need to know:
- Memphis in May hasn’t made a decision yet on whether or not to move (or reschedule, or cancel) the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest. As soon as I know something, I’ll pass it on.
- A lot of things are closed due to flooding: Mirimichi, the Greenline, Putt Putt and the Summer Drive-In are all closed until the waters recede.
- For information on temporary shelters, road closures, flood maps and safety information, check out the Shelby County Office of Preparation.
- If you’d like to see photos of the flooding, the Commercial Appeal has an excellent gallery of aerial photos that show exactly where the water is in relation to downtown.
– Today is the last day to submit designs for the Cooper-Young Festival poster contest. If you’d like to turn one in, bring it to the Cooper-Young Business Association office at 2120 Young Ave. by 4 p.m. today.
– Star and Micey and Jack Oblivian will be performing live on WEVL tomorrow at 1 p.m. The special show is the finale of the station’s second “Sounds Like Memphis” series. Stream it online tomorrow, or catch it on YouTube after the show.