Listen Up! 9 Live Music Shows In Memphis This Month (February 2019)
Ed. Note: Contributor Baylee is back with another monthly Listen Up! guide with concerts all February long. Got an upcoming show or concert you’d like to be included? Submit your event here, and email Holly at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Listen Up” in the subject line.
1. George Porter Jr., The Hi-Tone Cafe, Thursday February 7th, $12 – $15, doors at 8 p.m., 18 and over
He’s most well-known as a founding member of The Meters, one of New Orleans’ iconic funk groups, but don’t count his solo collection out. George Porter Jr. revitalizes the jam of 70’s funk for a contemporary audience; “Woogie Boogie” is a true favorite of mine.
2. Marcella & Her Lovers, Bar DKDC, Saturday February 9th, cover, show at 10:30 p.m., 21 and over
Our swamp soul queen of Memphis is ready to boogie this month after releasing a fresh EP, Got You Found. Horns, keys, guitars, and even an accordion will fill the cozy, funky hall; you’ll find yourself singing along even if you don’t know the words.
3. Ellisa Sun, Folk All Y’all at Studio 688 on Cox St., Saturday February 9th, $20, show at 7:30 p.m., all ages
Singer-songwriter Ellisa Sun creates music perfect to soundtrack your rainy Sunday morning, coffee-shop study date, or really anytime you need to unwind. Her voice smoothes out the ripples in the air with its alluring elegance and surprising power.
4. Spotlight Concert Series: Barrie Cooper and Brian Ray, Crosstown Arts Green Room, Monday February 11th, $7, show at 7:30 p.m., all ages
Beginning this month, Crosstown Arts and the Memphis Symphony Orchestra will host the Spotlight Concert Series aimed to celebrate our local talented classical musicians. Concertmaster Barrie Cooper and pianist Brian Ray will feature for February and showcase works by Joaquín Turina, Eugène Ysaÿe, and more.
5. IRIS Orchestra with Hanzhi Wang, GPAC, Saturday, Feb. 16, 7:30 p.m., $45 and up
The IRIS Orchestra performs with guest musician, Hanzhi Wang. She’s the first ever accordionist to perform with the Young Concert Artists series. There’s also another performance on Sunday at the Brooks Museum. Read those details here.
6. Buddy Guy and Mavis Staples: The Blues is Alive and Well Tour, Horseshoe Casino’s Bluesville, Friday February 22nd, $66 – $300, show at 8 p.m., 18 and over
This is one SERIOUS power duo performance and will be absolutely worth the trip to Tunica. Blues bastion Buddy Guy and soul powerhouse Mavis Staples will turn the Horseshoe into hallowed ground on Friday the 22nd.
7. KISS: End of the Road World Tour, Fedex Forum, Saturday February 23rd, $45 – $900, show at 7:30 p.m., all ages
Grab your face paint and prepare to “Rock and Roll All Nite” with the infamous, party quartet KISS. Although they are past their prime, KISS is sure to entertain with their hard rock anthems and vivacious theatrics.
8. Bas, 1884 Lounge at Minglewood Hall, Saturday February 23rd, $20 – $22, doors at 8 p.m., all ages
Rhythmic rapper Bas released his new album Milky Way after two plus years off the radar. Bas returns with bass-heavy beats, collaborations with J. Cole and A$AP Ferg, and a story about finding love.
9. Ameripolitan Music Awards Weekend, various locations, Friday February 22nd – Monday February 25th, read below for ticket info, various times, depends on location
Honky-tonk, outlaw, rockabilly, and more, the Ameripolitan Music Awards Weekend aims to bring a modern flavor to all roots-influenced music. Talent from across the globe travels to the mecca of Memphis for a weekend of liveliness and classic Americana. When you buy a ticket to the Awards Show, you receive free entrance to all showcases and events; otherwise you’ll pay for showcases at the door.
About The Author
A born and raised Memphian, Baylee Less recently returned to her roots after her four-year hiatus at the University of Maryland. A contributor to I Love Memphis and Memphis Travel, she is excited to share the reasons she’s always loved Memphis. She enjoys live music, Asian food, and being outdoors. Follow @bayleeless on Twitter for updates about being vegan in the land of barbecue.