5 Things To Do This Weekend: 1/11 – 1/13
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend, plus a few extras.
More things to know:
– Y’all wanted more live music. We delivered: 11 Concerts Happening in Memphis This Month
– Friday at midnight is the cutoff for discounted tickets to 901Vintage food ‘n’ wine festival, so hurry! Details & tickets.
– New bar alert! The Greyound opens this coming week.
– Give back to the city you love this month with these 10 ideas for volunteering.
– Given up on Sober January? The Drink Local Memphis Winter Beer Guide is coming soon.
– Love coffee? I have just the event for you. Grind City Coffee Expo is coming in March.
Subscribe to our simple emails so you won’t miss any Memphis news.
Here’s your weekend guide:
1. Firepit Fridays, River Garden at MS River Park, Friday, 4:30 p.m. – 6:30, free, all ages/kid-friendly
Bundle up and bring the whole family to watch the sunset in the newly revamped River Garden park on Riverside. They’ll have firepits and s’mores going.
2. The CMPLX Grand Opening, 2234 Lamar Ave, Friday, free but donations accepted, doors at 6:30 p.m., all ages
The CLTV (Collective) is an non-profit organization in Memphis with the mission to elevate black artists, empower black communities, and – in doing so – shift the culture of our city. On January 11th, The CLTV will celebrate the grand opening of their brick-and-mortar home named The CMPLX. This all ages show will showcase top tier talent in our community from electronic, to soul, to rap, and more. Read more abut Cameron Bethany here and Magnolia here.
3. The Bennyfit Show, The Hi-Tone, Friday, 8 p.m. – 11 p.m., $10, 21 and up
The Bluff City liars improv group and local comedians take the stage this Saturday night in support of their fellow comic in need, Benny Elbows. Enjoy standup and improv comedy routines plus a raffle from local businesses, plus a special food menu from chef Josh McLane.
4. Wiseacre Beer Release Party, Wiseacre Taproom, Saturday, 1 p.m – 10 p.m, free to enter, all ages/kids ‘n’ dogs are cool (21 to drink)
Wiseacre releases three special brews this Saturday: the Snowbeard Barleywine (in 22 oz. bottles), Prank Calls To Satan Black Ale (6 pack cans), and Gerty IPA (4 pack cans). Gerty is named after Gerty Radnitz is the first American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize in Science. The Obruni Dance Band will play a free show/dance party from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and El Mero Taco will be on hand with grub.
5. Hustle & Hounds, Landers Center, Saturday, 7 p.m., $12 – $25, all ages/kid-friendly
The Memphis Hustle G-League team invites you and your pups to their game against the Texas Legends this Saturday in Southaven. This sounds outrageous and I’m totally on board. Bring your leashed, collared, friendly dogs to the game (they get in free with your ticket). Halftime entertainment will be a weiner dog race, naturally. Even better, they are making the players wear jerseys covered in dog faces. Woof.
These are fur’real the jerseys the Memphis Hustle will wear for their “Dogs Days of Winter” game on Saturday. pic.twitter.com/0KRSaYayX2
— Jessica Benson (@Local24Jessica) January 9, 2019
Drink-N-Draw at Ghost River
Creativity Cafe at Art-Body-Soul
Screening of Sonic Youth’s “Daydream Nation” at Crosstown Arts
Mighty Souls Brass Band at Buckman Arts Center
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver at GPAC
A Tribute To Pink Floyd at Railgarten
Graber Grass Acoustic at Dirty Crow Inn
Singin in the Rain at The Orpheum (Movie Series)
First Friday Neosoul Session at Qbhome Paint & Sip Studio
Black Social Museum w/ KO and The Crew at Sounds Good Memphis
Rocky Horror Picture Show at Evergreen Theatre
Old Forest Walk at Overton Park
Shop Small at Ghost River
Justin Timberlake at FedExForum
Workshops at the Metal Museum
Ronnie McDowell at The Guest House at Graceland
Magic Carpet Ride at Buckman Arts Center
New Year, New You! at Bumpus Harley Davidson
Hematology Opening Reception at ArtUp
Fred Hersch Pocket Orchestra at GPAC
Leland Sundries & TN Screamers at Railgarten
Drafts & Laughs at Memphis Made
Fevertree at Minglewood Hall
Real Memphis Wrestling at Rec Room
Victoria Season 3 Viewing Party at WKNO Digital Media Center
The Rusty Pieces at Belle Tavern
Projet Pet: Paint Your Pet at Pinot’s Palette
Lucy J’s Bakery Baking Class at Crosstown
Ping Pong Tournament at Railgarten
Books on Beale Book Drive at the Withers Collection
Tru feat. Mark Chambers at Evergreen Theatre