365 Things to Do in Memphis #1: Make a Resolution

Posted by Holly Whitfield | January 1st 2019 4924 0

What’s there to do in Memphis? Check out this I Love Memphis list of 365 things to do in Memphis! There’s something for everyone in this beautiful city, so hopefully this will be your guide to getting out and trying new things.

We’ll have ideas for every interest: music, arts, sports, food, culture, outdoors, history, and much more. We’ll have ideas for all kinds of people: visitors, lifelong Memphians, families with kids, night owls, early birds, folks on budgets, and more.

Some suggestions will be classic, well-known Memphis stuff and some suggestions will be new additions to the city. Some might be specific (eat a Soul Burger!) while others might be general (belly up to a local dive bar! take the kids to a splash park!) All will be fun and unique to Memphis.

Your first assignment is to make a Memphis resolution.

John Bell/Memphis Tourism

It doesn’t have to be anything crazy – just decide that in 2018, you’re going to do some of those things you’ve always wanted to do in Memphis. Maybe you’ve never been to Graceland. Perhaps you’ve never had a supreme snow cone from Jerry’s. Do you spend all your time in East Memphis? Resolve to spend some time downtown. Never leave the Parkways? Venture out to a new neighborhood. Meet new people, try new things. You get the picture.

Whatever your resolution is, today’s the day to commit to doing it. Then, as you check things off your list this year, be sure to share your Memphis experiences online with #Memphis365.

Leave your Memphis resolution the comments!

Comments

1. Andy says:

I will go to Uncle Lou's

2. Janet says:

I want to go to Uncle Lou’s, too. Never been & my son says it’s great!

3. Gina says:

I will go to a locally owned Memphis restaurant such as Trolley Stop.

4. Jen says:

I will go to Rendezvous for BBQ!

5. Peggy says:

I resolve to visit the Firemen’s Museum. I hear it’s a great place and I’ve never been there

6. Aletha Ruffin says:

I resolve to be prosperous,prepared, and purposed!

7. Kim says:

I will go to the Civil Rights Museum

8. Philip says:

I resolve to support more local businesses. I'm going to start by drinking more J. Brooks Coffee!

9. David says:

I will visit the Stax Museum and check out St. Blues Guitars downtown.

10. Tessa says:

I will go on a ride a pedal boat down the Mississippi

11. Allison says:

Ride the greenline on my new bicycle!!

12. Clara says:

I am happy you have selected this project. I live in Wisconsin and will be moving to Memphis soon.
    I have purchased a house there. I will be reviewing your list to get ideas for enjoying myself in the new
    location. What is Memphis know for beside the Blue…The civil rights movement and great food…
    Keep me posted… have fun in 2012. Have a  Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Kimberly says:

I resolve to eat at more local restaurants and attend more plays at our awesome theatres!

14. Gayle Fowler says:

Thanks for doing this and publishing it on FB. I have lived here since 1986 and I know there are many things I have not done in Memphis. I didn't even know some of these things exsisted. I am going to try and experience more things in Memphis and share them with my friends that live in other cities.

15. Cathie says:

my niece came for a visit this last July/August & we trekked around everywhere downtown—1—riverboat ride (boring except for the guided tour detailing yearsss of historical events), 2—toured the River Museum at Mud Island (too much to read, wished for more info on the headphones), luved the river walk, 3—caught the Peabody ducks marching to the elevator & saw the Mayor present an award there (after 34 years of luving in Memphis, the ducks are still fun), 4—ate at the Revendous (overrated), but luved the historical photos & memorabilia on the walls, 5—walked down Beale St at sunset (cool) & listened to excellent blues at BB Kings for an hour & the food looked sooo much better than the Rendevous. we spent 6 hours one day at Graceland, touring everything Elvis—the guides & clerks/waiters could not have been nicer—they must receive a pep talk or happy pill every day. we luved meeting people from all over the world at Graceland! my niece is gonna come back cause we didn’t even go to Sun Studio, Stax Museum, the Brooks or Dixon, etc etc etc.

16. mike says:

I like your thinking here … for me, I hope to spend more of my time and money locally and/or regionally versus chasing “dream” vacations in far off places. Looking back, I seem to know LA or NY better than holly springs or downtown or Shelby farms.

• Holly Whitfield says:

Love this resolution! I adore traveling myself, but sometimes it’s amazing to experience what’s in your own backyard.