10 Reasons To Be Thankful For Memphis
Bridge photo provided by DCA. used with permission.
- 1. The Mississippi River. And how we can walk across it at the Big River Crossing. And now the Mighty Lights on the Hernando DeSoto Bridge (photo at the top of this page) make it even more fun.
2. Public art. From murals to sculptures to installations, artists and their work make our city more beautiful.
3. Diverse cultures. Memphis is full of people of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and we are better for it.
4. Giving back. Memphis is one of the most charitable cities in the country, and we have tons of people doing hard work to solve the problems that affect all of us.
A few examples: Volunteer Odyssey’s monthly list of ways to volunteer; the criminal justice reform that Just City is entrenched in; inclusive, accessible reproductive healthcare from organizations like CHOICES; LeBonheur’s Festival of Trees at the Pink Palace; the St. Jude Memphis Marathon, coming up on Dec. 1. (PLEASE SIGN UP FOR OUR CHEER SECTION SO I DON’T HAVE TO CHEER ALONE.)
5. Basketball. From Tigers to Grizzlies, there are plenty of games to watch from November ’til late spring and beyond.
6. Our Unbridled Enthusiasm For T-Shirts, Sno-Cones, and Grocery Stores. This speaks for itself.
7. Hidden gems. Sure, it’s a cliche phrase at this point, but Memphis is full of special things that exist only here and are surprisingly and wonderful all at the same time. For example, the Belz Museum is a literal treasure trove of mind-blowing art just hanging out underneath downtown Memphis.
8. Food. Our cuisine goes way beyond barbecue, is world-famous, and we offer something for every taste. Pictured: the “All American” from Gourmade Food Truck.
9. Festivals. Memphis boasts dozens of festivals all throughout the year. Many are dedicated to food and/or music, but we also celebrate art, culture, and more.
10. Sunsets. It’s simple (even “basic”) but let’s be real, not a lot of cities can boast such a display of sun, colors, sky, and river.
What are you thankful for in Memphis this year? Leave your answer in the comments.
Originally posted 2016. Updated 2018.