5 Things To Do This Weekend: 8/3 – 8/5
Welcome to August, friends. We have a great month ahead of us in Memphis, and here to kick it off is a weekend full of sports, movies, Memphis merch, and more.
1. Memphis Redbirds Games, Aug 1 – 7, AutoZone Park, all ages/kid-friendly
The Redbirds have home games every night from Wednesday, August 1 through Tuesday, August 7. Check out all the special deals and events here.
2. REI Play Days, Various Locations, All Weekend, Free, All Ages
Outdoor store REI will open in Memphis at 5897 Poplar Avenue on August 24, and to say “hello”, they’re planning a weekend full of free activities. I think all these events will be quite crowded, so bear that in mind. Bike Share rentals are free all weekend (with code), there’s a happy hour at Wiseacre on Friday at 6 p.m., free boat rentals at Shelby Farms on Sat. and Sun, and a free concert at the Levitt Shell on Saturday at 6 p.m, and more. Read all the fine print here.
3. Choose 901 Back To School Pop-Up Shop, Ballet Memphis (Overton Square), Friday – Saturday, prices vary, all ages
My pals over at Choose 901 are hosting a back-to-school pop-up shop with brand new merch. Check out a preview of what’s for sale here. Hours are 3 p.m. – 7 p.m. on Friday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday
4. Park After Dark: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Shelby Farms, 7:30 p.m., $10 parking, all ages/kid-friendly
Pack your picnics and blankets for a movie at Shelby Farms Park’s Great Lawn this weekend. Just pay per car for parking. They’ll have food trucks, too.
5. Meritan Midnight Classic Bike Ride, Downtown Memphis, Saturday, 8 p.m. – ’til, $45
Support Meritan’s mission with a bike ride of either 8 miles or 16 miles this Saturday night. This year, they won’t be riding through midtown and East Memphis, but will start and finish at the Pyramid with a strictly downtown route. Tailgating begins at 8 p.m., registration begins at 8:30 p.m., and the ride begins at 10 p.m. Route will be provided upon registration packet pick up. Don’t have a bike, but want to participate? Explore Bike Share is providing bikes. I’m trying to confirm that you can register on the day of the event and the age limits.
A few more ideas…
– Yes, Diner En Blanc is this weekend, but it’s sold out
– MAHALIA the musical opens this weekend at Hattiloo
– The Memphis Film Prizes has screenings all weekend at Studio on the Square
– The Pink Palace is screening Black Panther in the CTI Giant Theater on Sat. and Sun.
– Cocktails for a Cause benefitting the Community Legal Center
– Access Awards Benefit feat. Hope Clayburn
– First Friday: Yellow Jack event at Woodruff-Fontaine
– Memphis Música Redbirds Game at AutoZone Park
– Real Memphis Wrestling at the Rec Room (yes, actual wrestling)
– Broad Avenue hosts a scavenger hunt
– Doc52 Bourbon Release Day at Doc’s Wine, Spirits & More
– Kayak Memphis launch
– Art Opening at Eclectic Eye
– Mommy & Me Baby Expo at Southwest
– Stop. Plan. Step. at Crosstown Brewing
– Redbirds Video Game Night at AutoZone Park
– China Gate at Ghost River
– Fantasy Burlesque: A Cosplay Event at Dru’s Place
– Rusty Pieces at Belle Tavern
– Black Panther movie at Pink Palace CTI Giant theater (2D)
– Sunday Jazz at Earnestine & Hazel’s
– Free sunset yoga downtown Memphis
For more, check out the full calendar.