10 Ways To Give Back To Memphis This Month (February 2018)
Volunteer Odyssey and I Love Memphis make it super easy for you to help the city you love by publishing a monthly list of easy, fun ways to give back. Here are ten ideas for February.
Here’s the list. Sign up today!
1. Volunteer Odyssey’s VolunCheers benefiting Porter-Leath: Tuesday, February 13th from 6-7:30pm
Cheers to making a difference in the lives of elementary school children! Stop by Volunteer Odyssey’s monthly VolunCheers where they combine a happy hour with volunteering to form a fun night of community service benefitting Porter-Leath elementary. Sign up to volunteer and toast to some quality community service.
2. City of Germantown Challenger Basketball: Monday, February 6th, 12th, and 26th from 5:45-7pm
Want to promote good sportsmanship and athleticism in children with special needs? Then this “buddy” program is for you! For a couple of nights in February you could help a kid learn how to shoot a layup, or, if you’re not basketball inclined, give some much-needed moral support to a child with special needs!
3. The Grizzlies Foundation New Mentor Training: Saturday, February 10th from 9am-noon
Join the TEAM UP Youth Mentoring Partnership for a day of mentor training! The Grizzlies foundation gives volunteers the necessary tools and skills they need to be the mentors of young kids in the Memphis community.
4. Memphis Botanic Garden’s Whiskey, Wine, and Chocolates: Saturday, February 10th from 6:30-10:30pm What better way to spend Valentines then with whiskey, wine and chocolates? The Memphis Botanic Garden is looking for volunteers to help hand out chocolate, food, and drinks to visitors congregating there to celebrate! You must be 21+ to sign up.
5. Shelby Farms Park Weed Wrangle: Saturday, February 17th from 9am-11am
Like getting down in the dirt? Well then, you’re in luck! Join the Shelby Farms Weed Wrangle to tame some weeds and help the environment all in a day’s work! All tools will be provided, but volunteers asked to bring their own gloves and water bottle.
6. Tree Planting with Wolf River Conservancy: Saturday, February 24th from 10am-2pm
Help the environment and the Memphis community by contributing to the Shelby Farms ‘One Million Trees’ Initiative. This family-friendly event is perfect for anyone looking to broaden their local environmental impact! Register today to be part of our largest annual volunteer event, and help us work to restore and improve the Wolf River watershed! Read more here.
7. GiveCamp Memphis 2018: Friday, February 23rd through Sunday, February 25th
GiveCamp is a weekend-long, free, 100% volunteer based, meeting of minds! This event focuses on professionals coming together to help non-profit organizations with any problem they might experience ranging from website design to budgeting in Excel. It’s a great way to use your skills to help organizations help Memphis as a whole!
8. Levitt Shell February Volunteer Orientation Meeting: Tuesday, February 27th from 5:30-6:30pm
Want to help the Levitt Shell continue to produce fun activities and performances? Head over to their volunteer orientation meeting to find out how you can help organize and set up events like outdoor movies, and summer concerts!
9. Urban Bicycle Food Ministry Burrito Prep and Ride: Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings
Spread love and deliver burritos to those in need. A bike and some burritos are all it takes to impact the life of someone in the Memphis community. If you’re not the greatest cyclist in the world, don’t fret! You could help prep the burritos for delivery.
10. Carpenter Art Garden’s Tuesday Art Garden: every Tuesday from 3-5pm
Help Memphis children develop a love for arts and crafts at this after-school event! Every Tuesday volunteers can help children create 2-3 art projects, assist with some homework, and snack distribution all while making a difference in a child’s life.
If none of these strike your fancy, click here to take a tour of 7 different organizations to see if their volunteer opportunities are a perfect match for you. Or, there are more than 80 volunteer opportunities on Volunteer Odyssey’s Calendar: volunteerodyssey.com/calendar.
If you sign up for one of the above opportunities (or find another one through Volunteer Odyssey), please let me know. I’d love to give a shout-out to you next month.
Who knows? Maybe your experience will encourage others to give back some Memphis lovin’, too.