5 Things To Do This Weekend: 12/15 – 12/17
Happy Friday and Happy Hanukkah, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss this weekend, plus a few extras.
Don’t forget to check out the Holiday Shopping Guide, the Holiday Events Guide, New Year’s Eve Events Guide, and list of places that will be open on New Year’s Day.
Holiday Concert Weekend, Graceland Soundstage, Friday and Saturday, $35 and up, all ages
Celebrate the holidays at Graceland with concerts this Friday and Saturday at the new Soundstage. Friday night there’s a live orchestra performing Elvis’ Christmas hits and Saturday there’s a Gospel performance and a concert film screening.
CYCFM Holiday Market, 1000 S. Cooper Street, Saturday, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
Cooper Young Community Farmers Market is a year-round market held on Saturdays in the parking lot of First Congregational Church in Cooper Young. This weekend, the market is all about the holidays with produce, food, and gift vendors, beer, and photos.
A Night In Lapland, The Cove, Saturday, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m., $5 entry/$10 photos, 21 and up
This holiday party offers drink specials, food and merch for sale, and a chance to take a picture with Memphis’ sexiest Santa (identity to be revealed at the event). It all benefits Planned Parenthood.
Lucero Family Christmas, Minglewood Hall, Saturday, doors at 7 p.m./show at 8 p.m., $22 adv./$24 door, all ages
Celebrate the holidays with Memphis rockers Lucero at their annual holiday show. Cedric Burnside opens, and $1 from each ticket goes to the Streetdog Foundation. Want to win free tickets? Click here to enter the drawing, which is at 1 p.m. on Friday.
Shangri-La Records Xmas Party, Memphis Made, Saturday, 7 p.m., free, all ages
This free show features The Ultra cats (Alicja Trout, Lori McStay, Andrew Garaci) and Old News (featuring members of Don Lifted). Be sure to bring a few bucks to donate to the Food Bank.
There is so much more going on, including The Nutcracker at The Orpheum and J & K Cabaret: Back To The Middle Ages at Theatre South, so I urge you to check out the blog’s calendar.
All Weekend (check links for exact days and times)
– TN Shakespeare Company presents Waiting For Godot at The Dixon
– Junie B. Jones The Musical at Circuit Playhouse (through Dec. 23)
– Peter Pan at Playhouse on the Square (through Dec. 31)
– Enchanted Forest at the Pink Palace (through Dec. 31)
– Holiday Wonders at Memphis Botanic Garden (through Dec. 30)
– Starry Nights at Shelby Farms (through Dec. 29)
– Mistletoe Village at Starry Nights, Shelby Farms Park (through Dec. 29)
– Memphis Arts Collective Market at 1501 Union Avenue (though Dec. 24)
– Winter Arts at Park Place Centre (through December 24)
– Gift: A Christmas Holiday Market at Saddle Creek (through December 24)
– Take the Soul Train to Christmas at Hattiloo Theatre (through December 16)
– Santaland Diaries at Circuit Playhouse opens Dec. 1 (through Dec. 23) – This is absolutely hilarious and wonderful and you should go immediately.
– Holiday Group Exhibition at L. Ross Gallery opens Dec. 1
– A Lifetime of Christmas at the Kroc Center (Thu. – Sun. through December 17)