5 Things To Do This Weekend: 12/22 – 12/24
Happy early Christmas Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss this weekend, plus a few extras.
Don’t forget to check out the Holiday Shopping Guide, the Holiday Events Guide, list of places open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve Events Guide, and list of places that will be open on New Year’s Day.
1. Astronaut Status Release Party, Wiseacre Brewing, Friday, 1 p.m. – 10 p.m., free to attend/tour w/ cupcake pairing is $15, all ages (21+ to drink)
From Wiseacre: We are releasing our bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. 22 oz. bottles will go on sale, starting at 1 pm with a 3 case limit… tour and cupcake pairing during the day (ticketed) and a Quasifuturistic Funk party in the evening with DJ Pressure World starting at 6 pm.
2. Enchanted Forest + Festival of Trees, Pink Palace, Friday, 5 p.m. – 9 p.m., $5 kids/seniors + $6 adults, all ages-kid-friendly
If you haven’t walked through the Pink Palace’s annual display of Christmas cheer, tonight’s your last chance to do it during extended hours. Gaze at the animatronic winter critters, take a photo with Santa, and check out this year’s crop of gingerbread structures and decorated trees from different organizations and businesses around the city.
3. Santaland Diaries, Circuit Playhouse, Friday – Sunday, times vary, $25, ages 13+
If you’re more of a bah-humbug person, or if your definition of holiday cheer includes the sharp wit and sarcastic humor of David Sedaris, you need to see Santaland Diaries in its final weekend. Jonathan Christian stars as Crumpet in this hilarious one-man show all about a department store elf. I saw this production a few weeks ago, and laughed all the way through. It’s performed in the Memphian Room, where you sit at tables and order drinks before and during the show, which adds to the fun and casual but intimate nature of experience.
4. Grizzlies v. Clippers, FedExForum, Saturday, 7 p.m., prices vary, all ages/kid-friendly
Cheer on the Beale Street bears against the Floppers this weekend. They’re giving away Grizz-themed wrapping paper to the first 5,000 fans.
5. Snowglobe Christmas Show, Railgarten, Saturday, 8 p.m. – 11 p.m., free, all ages
Join everyone else who’s home for Christmas at The Garden of Rails for Snowglobe’s Christmas show. So very Memphis.
All Weekend incl. ongoing holiday events and shows (check links for exact days and times)
– Junie B. Jones The Musical at Circuit Playhouse (through Dec. 23)
– Peter Pan at Playhouse on the Square (through Dec. 31)
– Enchanted Forest at the Pink Palace (through Dec. 31)
– Holiday Wonders at Memphis Botanic Garden (through Dec. 30)
– Starry Nights at Shelby Farms (through Dec. 29)
– Mistletoe Village at Starry Nights, Shelby Farms Park (through Dec. 29)
– Memphis Arts Collective Market at 1501 Union Avenue (though Dec. 24)
– Winter Arts at Park Place Centre (through December 24)
– Gift: A Christmas Holiday Market at Saddle Creek (through December 24)
– Santaland Diaries at Circuit Playhouse opens Dec. 1 (through Dec. 23) – This is absolutely hilarious and wonderful and you should go immediately.
– Holiday Group Exhibition at L. Ross Gallery opens Dec. 1
– Santa’s Wonderland, Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid (through Dec. 24)
– Christmas at Graceland, November 16-January 8
– Zoo Lights, November 17 – December 30, Select Nights, 5:30 – 9:30 p.m.
– Astronaut Status Release Party at Ghost River Brewing
– Christmas Dance Party at Ultimate Ballroom
– MD’s at Bar DKDC
– Ugly Sweater Bingo at Memphis Made Brewing
– The Prince Experience at The New Daisy
– Lisa Mac w/ The PRVLG at Studio 688
– Que’s Old School Skate Session at Cordova Skate Center
– 21 Savage at Minglewood Hall
– “The Naughty List” party at The Bluff
– Naughty or Nice Holiday Party at Prive
– Will Tucker Band at Railgarten
– Z$ + Detriment at Growlers
– Chris Johnson at The Dirty Crow
– Pop-Up Adoption Event with Germantown Animal Shelter
– Memphis Tigers v. Loyola at FedExForum
– Shop Small Saturday at Ghost River
– Snowglobe Christmas Show at Railgarten
– Jingle Jam at the Cannon Center
– Impala at Bar DKDC
– Grizzlies v. Clippers at FedExForum
– Memphis Tributes The Grateful Dead et al at Minglewood Hall
– Annual WALRUS Holiday Show at Swanky’s
– Prof.Fuzz 63/Not Tight/Mystic Light Casino Orchestra at P&H Cafe
– 90s Party with 96X at The Rec Room
– Soul in the City Christmas Bash at CANVAS
– Guess Who Showed Up At Dinner at the Orpheum
– 40 Watt Christmas Moon at Murphy’s
– Carol Plunk Live at Meddlesome Brewing
Sunday (Christmas Eve! To see a list of places that are open on Christmas Eve + Christmas Day, click here)
– Flying Sobie’s Brunch at Ghost River Brewing Taproom (12-4)
– Strano Sicilian Kitchen dinner with Brennan Villines performing (make reservations)
– Negro Terror Pop-Up Show at CANVAS
– Free Restorative Yoga Class at CoYo Lounge
– Joe Restivo 4 at Lafayette’s