5 Things To Do This Weekend: 11/17 – 11/19
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss this weekend, plus a few extras. Don’t forget to check out the Holiday Shopping Guide, the Holiday Events Guide, list of Christmas Parades, and list of places that will be open on Thanksgiving.
1. Volunteer Odyssey Pop-Up Volunteer Party, 60 S. Main (The Washburn), Friday, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
If you’re downtown during lunch today, stop by the Pop-Up Party to complete super fast volunteer projects, grab free I Love Memphis Stickers, and meet the folks behind our monthly Give Back column. If you complete a project, you’ll get a token for free Aldo’s Pizza! The next one is Dec. 8.
2. MCA’s 67th Annual Holiday Bazaar, Rust Hall (1930 Poplar Avenue), Friday – Saturday, $50 Preview Night/Saturday free
Memphis’ original artist market returns this year with a carefully curated collection of handmade gifts and fine art. The Bazaar kicks off with an Early Bird Sale & Reception on Friday, Nov. 17 from 5–10 p.m. and continues on Saturday, Nov. 18 from 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Proceeds benefit the artists as well as the MCA Scholarship Fund. Check out this list of 5 reasons to attend.
3. Nut Remix, Canon Center, Friday – Sunday, times vary, $20 – $45, all ages/kid friendly
New Ballet Ensemble school performs their annual mash-up of dance styles – including ballet, African, flamenco, and more – to bring a new twist to the traditional Nutcracker. The show is at 7:30 p.m. on Fri. 5:30 p.m. on Sat., and 2:30 p.m. on Sun.
4. Holiday Stuff!
There are several Memphis holiday traditions that get started/happen this weekend. There’s the Memphis Christmas Parade In Whitehaven at 10 a.m. on Saturday. Santa Lands at the Pink Palace by helicopter at 9 a.m. and he uses his magic to also arrive at Carriage Crossing at 9 a.m. Zoo Lights also begins this weekend. Read more in the Holiday Events Guide.
5. Tigers v. SMU Football Game, Liberty Bowl, Saturday, 11 a.m., $10+, all ages/kid-friendly
Only two regular season home games left to cheer on our Tigers at the Liberty Bowl. Go Tigers Go!
I also want to give a big shout-out to Spillit. They will finish off this year’s seasons with a Grand Story Slam at Amurica on Saturday at 7 p.m. Winners from the year’s storytelling contests will compete for title of Grand Master Storyteller.
All Weekend (check links for exact days and times)
– Krisko County Christmas at Evergreen Theatre
– Peter Pan at Playhouse on the Square (through December 31)
– Memphis Potters’ Guild Show & Sale at Memphis Botanic Garden (Friday – Sunday)
– Casual Pint Turns One Weekend Celebration (Saturday – Sunday)
– Enchanted Forest at the Pink Palace (starts on Saturday, through Dec. 31)
Friday, November 17
– Human Walking Program (Dog Walking) at Court Square
– Wiseacre Tap Takeover at Mississippi Ale House
– Ono Poke Pop-Up Lunch at Ghost River Taproom
– Carnival at Crosstown
– Tree Lighting Celebration at Saddle Creek
– Live Up Fest (Reggae) at Growlers
– Opening Reception for BFA Exhibition at U of Memphis Fogleman Galleries
– Big Bugs Campfire Party at Memphis Botanic Garden
– 67th Annual Holiday Bazaar Preview & Purcahse Party at Memphis College of Art
– Choro da 3 at Beethoven Club
– Songwriter Night at South Main Sounds
– Gregory Porter at GPAC
– Uplift aerial show at Clayborn Temple
– Mark Edgar Stuart w/ Leah and Me at Railgarten
– Eat Your Science w/ Alton Brown at the Orpheum
– Free Fall Music Series at Overton Square
– Winchester & The Ammunition at Lafayette’s
– Blues In Your Soul Review at Wild Bill’s
– Album Sessions at Cossitt Library
– Iowa Wolves at Memphis Hustle at the Landers Center
Saturday, November 18
– Memphis Christmas Parade In Whitehaven at 10 a.m.
– Memphis v. SMU Football Game at Liberty Bowl kickoff at 11 a.m.
– Santa Lands at the Pink Palace / Enchanted Forest Opening
– Sneaker Con at Memphis Cook Convention Center
– Downtown Memphis Holiday Tree Lighting at 5 p.m.
– Carpenters Remembered at Bartlett PAC
– Souls4Soles Shoe Drive at American Mini Storage
– 67th Annual Holiday Bazaar Show & Sale at Memphis College of Art
– Memphis Model Railroaders Open House at AZO, Inc.
– Jason Motte Memphis Cornhole Challenge at The Columns
– Christmas on the Square in Arlington
– Binghampton Stories Project at The Commons at Merton
– Nothing Gold Can Stay sale at Paper & Clay
– Ted and the Card at Memphis Made Taproom
– Donuts and Fancy Beer at Wiseacre Taproom
– Shop Small Saturday and Future Everything Showcase at Ghost River Taproom
– Heritage Building Supply Grand Opening at 405 Monroe
– Royal Studios 60th Anniversary Show at the Orpheum
– Headwraps and Afrobeats at Makeda’s Butter Cookies
– Coffee Black, An Evening With Bartholomew Jones at 7 N. Main
– Playhouse on the Square’s 48th Birthday
– Grizzlies v. Rockets at FedExForum
– Trap Jazz at The Den
– Bluff City Backsliders at the Cove
Sunday, November 19
– Rusty Pieces at the Belle Tavern
– Brunch Happy Hour at all the Huey’s
– Brunch at the Brewery at Ghost River Taproom
– Women’s Bike Chat at Revolutions
– Vegan Holiday Tapas Tasting at The Den
– Sushi Class at Memphis Made Taproom
– Christmas Pics for Pups at Hollywood Feed
– Aaron James + more at 831 South Cooper
– Adam McLelland and the Hangover at Newby’s
– Flashback Oldies Band at Neil’s
Submit your events here.