Weekend News Update: Meet Me In Memphis Edition
Before we dive headfirst into this jam-packed weekend, here’s a newsy but easy-to-read update, including big Black Lodge news, an exclusive song and video release, and some positive press from around the world. The photo at the top of this post is from Shelby Farms this week.
Meet Me In Memphis Song Release
Memphis musician and Beale Street veteran Eric Hughes releases his new album Meet Me In Memphis on October 20. To get you ready, he’s debuted the title track and video today! Click here to watch and here to just listen.
Eric told me that the song is “positive message to the world about our way-cool town, and…a reminder to our residents of just how hip Memphis really is.” He’ll have a CD release show on the 20th at The Warehouse (36 Patterson Ave.) at 7 p.m. More info on the party here, and more info on Mr. Hughes here.
Black Lodge Comes Back
Black Lodge Video announced today via Facebook that they really, truly are coming back. Here’s co-founder/creator of Black Lodge Matthew Martin:
Connecting with the incredible people at Crosstown Arts, Lodge will reopen at New Years in its vast new home on Cleveland, near the recently-opened Concourse building. On October 28th, at our annual Halloween party, join us as we celebrate the new Black Lodge, and come see all we have in store for you. We will be unveiling our plans and drawings for the new space, and will be explaining the huge number of shows, events, and attractions that we will soon offer.
The beloved video store, previously located in Cooper Young, closed in 2015. If didn’t get a chance to experience the odd perfection of a real-life, old-school video rental store before then, read this post and then stay tuned as I’ll do my best to keep y’all up to date on their progress and find out the exact location of the new Lodge.
Tony Allen Is Still Tony Allen-ing From NOLA
The Grindfather may be a Pelican now, but the Grizzlies have announced that they’ll retire his number 9 jersey. His response to hearing the news was humble and passionate as usual. Today, the Chris Vernon did a long interview with TA which I have on good authority is hilarious. Listen here. The interview starts at 6:50. Also there’s this:
— Tony Allen (@aa000G9) October 12, 2017
Positive Memphis Press
– Expedia agrees that Rhodes is one of the prettiest college campuses in nation.
– Thrillist named South Main as one of the most stylish streets in America.
– Forbes said Gus’s is the best fried chicken in Memphis.
– Glassdoor mentions us in an article about 10 “cool cities” with affordable homes.
– Out and About Nashville covered this year’s Mid-South Pride Festival & Parade and it looked amazing.
– Roadside America has a weird but good review of one of my favorite places in town- the Stax Museum.
– This Italian publication wrote about Memphis as a music city. I’m not sure what they said exactly because I don’t speak Italian, but I have a feeling it was positive.
– If you’re wondering why folks are turning things orange (online logos, the Harahan bridge…) in Memphis the last few days, it’s because of the #MemphisDelivers grassroots campaign to show Amazon that they should totally build their new headquarters here. Read this and this for more info. I will have more about why #MemphisDelivers this on the blog very soon, but in the meantime follow me on Twitter as I’ll be sharing some surprise things I Love Memphis is doing this weekend. (Hint: Sunday at the Levitt Shell.)
– Big Cypress Lodge hotel at the Bass Pro Pyramid has some added perks for their hotel guests:
a. cruiser bike rental for exploring Tom Lee Park (map and water included)
b. Family Movie Night every Saturday night
c. Game Day package for football fans coming to town (included breakfast, gear, tailgating kit, and more)
They’re also going to have a Thanksgiving Feast at the top of the Pyramid, so just keep that in mind. Read more about their perks and packages here.
– On Saturday, October 21st, downtown will celebrate the opening of the Wolf River Greenway Trail – a new park and trail on the northwestern end of Mud Island. It used to be a icky, apparently, and now it’s beautiful. I’ll have a live report from the site via Instagram next Wednesday at noon to give you a sneak peek.
That’s it. Y’all have an awesome weekend!