5 Things To Do This Weekend: 8/4 – 8/6
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend. But first, have you downloaded the new HippySOUL album? Read more and snag this new music release here.
1. Continuum Music Festival, storybooth/Crosstown Arts, Friday – Saturday, $25/day, $60/weekend pass, 18+
This collaboration of artists from diverse genres performs Friday and Saturday evening at storybooth and Crosstown Arts. Expect contemporary chamber musicians paired with blues, rock, and hip hop. The Friday night shows are at 7 p.m. (storybooth) and 8:30 p.m. (CA); the Saturday night shows are at 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. (storybooth) and 8 p.m. (CA).
2. Firefly Glow Party, Memphis Botanic Garden, Friday, 7 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., $15, all ages/kid-friendly
From the Botanic Garden: “Make yourself glow for the party at the Illumination Station complete with blacklights, make a firefly friend…visit the Atomic Glow Lab to see rocks that really glow, and more. Bring your light-up toys to our dance party featuring evening performances by Bridging Souls and an LED hoop-show.” You must make reservations for this event. Call 901-901-636-4131.
3. Skinny & Gangsta Boo’s Birthday Bash, The Hi-Tone, Friday – Saturday, $12, show at 9 p.m., 18 and over
Advertised as two days of debauchery, help rapper Gangsta Boo and Hi-Tone owner Skinny celebrate their birthdays with the help of other Memphis-born acts including funk and soul instrumentalist Hope Clayborn, aristocrunk rappers Lord T & Eloise and “whiskey-soaked” country rock group Dead Soldiers.
4. Elvis 7’s Rugby Tournament, USA Stadium Millington, Saturday, 7 a.m. – 8 p.m., free (parking is $5), all ages/kid-friendly
The Memphis Blues rugby team hosts their annual Elvis-themed all-day rugby tournament this Saturday. Bring your coolers, picnic or money for food trucks, and the whole family. Read more here.
5. Park After Dark: Outdoor Movie Night, Shelby Farms, Saturday, 8 p.m. – 10 p.m., $10 per car, all ages/kid-friendly
Shelby Farms kicks off their Outdoor Movie Nights this weekend with a screening of Back To The Future on the Great Lawn. Bring your blankets and chairs; there will be food trucks and beer for sale (no outside booze).
Friday, August 4
– Food Truck Friday at the Dixon
– Family Studio at the Dixon
– Choose 901 Back-To-School Pop-Up Shop at Crosstown Arts
– Triple Threat Athletics Basketball Camp (Friday + Saturday)
– First Friday: Yellow Jack! at Woodruff-Fontaine House
– Scavenger Hunt at Broad Avenue
– An (Art)form of Worship 2: Di(e)chotomy Opening Reception at Crosstown Arts
– Date Night on the Square at Collierville Towne Square
– The Blvd Presents: Movie Night on the Lawn
– Jerred Price at Hard Rock Cafe
– Bring It! Live at Orpheum Theatre
Saturday, August 5
– Shop Small Saturday and The Michael Brothers at Ghost River Brewing
– Latch On Memphis at Trinity Baptist Church
– Town Hall Meeting w/ Congressman Steve Cohen at MCA
– Authors Around Town at Two River Bookstore
– Ballet on Wheels Summer Dance Saturdays
– An (Art)form of Worship 2: Di(e)chotomy Artist Talk at Crosstown Arts
– 5 Week Hip Hop Series at Your Inner Yogi
– Floating Light art opening at MCA Gallery at PotS
– Jerred Price is Almost Elton John at Hard Rock Cafe
– James Taylor at FedExForum
– Stevan’s Birthday w/ NOTS + Haus of Azengraber Drag Revue at Bar DKDC
Submit your events to the blog’s calendar here.