5 Things To Do This Weekend: 8/11 – 8/13
Happy Friday Memphis! I have your weekend plan, but two quick things first:
a) You’re invited to party with me on 901 Day! Exposure on 901 Day is back in a huge way at AutoZone Park on September 1. It’s free! I have lots of details in this post, but stay tuned for even more in the coming weeks.
b) The delicious pizza below is available this Sunday only at the Cove. Big thanks to contributor Stacey Greenberg for giving us a full write-up on Kunal’s Indian Pizza Pop Up.
And now, here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend.
1. Elvis Week 2017, Various locations, all weekend, prices vary, all ages
Celebrate the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll this year by attending one of the many Elvis events taking place across Memphis in August. Everything from official Elvis Tribute Artist contests to dance parties to the famous candlelight vigil that attracts fans from around the globe to the gates of Graceland. This year celebrates the 40th anniversary of Elvis’ death.
2. St. Paul & The Broken Bones w/ Drew Holcomb, Botanic Garden, Friday, 6:30 p.m. gates/8:30 p.m. show, $40+, 18+
St. Paul & The Broken Bones perform at Live at the Garden tonight with Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors. If you’re into high energy Southern-soaked soul and folk rock, this is the show for you. Tickets are $40 for general lawn seating, where you can bring blankets, chairs, and picnics and watch the show on projector screens, mostly.
3. Last Chance Elvis Tribute Artist Contest, Hard Rock Cafe, Friday – Sunday, 9 p.m. – 1 a.m., all ages, $30
Elvis Tribute Artists from around the world have competed in their local contests all year to qualify for the official (totally sold out) ETA finals at Elvis Week…but if they didn’t have a local contest available or just need one last chance…the Hard Rock Cafe on Beale offers them just that. The Last Chance ETA Contest starts on Friday night and the most King-like crooners will advance on Saturday and then Sunday. I’ve judged this event before and it’s tons of fun and well worth the ticket price.
4. Jam For Justice, Loflin Yard, Saturday, 7 p.m. – 11 p.m., $20, all ages
This benefit for the Community Legal Center features local musicians John Paul Keith, The Low Country Nationals, The Outcry, and more. You get a free koozie with your ticket purchase.
5. Park After Dark: Outdoor Movie Night, Shelby Farms, Saturday, 8 p.m. – 10 p.m., $10 per car, all ages/kid-friendly
Shelby Farms hosts another Outdoor Movie Night this weekend with a screening of “Secret Life of Pets” on the Great Lawn. Bring your blankets and chairs; there will be food trucks and beer for sale (no outside booze).
Plus a few more…
– 9 to 5 Opening Weekend at Playhouse on the Square
Friday, August 11
– Food Truck Friday at the Dixon
– Family Studio at the Dixon
– Brook Wright at Marlowe’s
– The Crown Vox Experience at Clayborn Temple
– Rusty Pieces at the Blind Bear
– Gone With The Wind at the Orpheum (Summer Movie Series)
– South Main Sounds Songwriter Night #67
– Family Sleepover at Shelby Farms Park
Saturday, August 12
– Shop Small Saturday and Rusty Pieces at Ghost River Brewing
– 2nd Saturday Legal Clinic at Central Library
– Scarecrow Building Seminar at Lichterman Nature Center
– Soul Fingers at Stax
– Train Heritage Day at Morton Museum in Collierville
– Dance Open House at Ballet on Wheels
– Memphis Yo-Yo Club at Germantown Community Library
– Memphis K.E.Y.S. Convention at Union Center
– Auditions for “What A Piece of Work” at Shady Grove Presbyterian
– “Coming To America” at the Orpheum (Summer Movie Series)
– “Park After Dark” screening of The Secret Life of Pets at Shelby Farms
– Will Tucker Band at B.B. King’s
– Memphis Tributes The Grateful Dead at Minglewood
– Mandible at Hard Rock Cafe
– Eric Stanley at the Halloran Centre
Sunday, August 13
– Brunch + Sunday Evening Slowdown at Ghost River Brewing
– Cosplay Sunday / Aperal Fashion Pop-up at Two Rivers Bookstore
– Anna Carson DeWitt Photography Mini Sessions downtown
– Fundraiser for All 4s dog rescue/ restaurant pop-up at The Cove (read more here)
– Metal Museum Store Gallery opening reception
– Lucha Libre! at Memphis International Flea Market
– Live Music at all the Huey’s
– Live Music at Lafayette’s all day/night