Bragging Rights: 20 Reasons To Be Proud of Memphis
Ed. Note: Beale Street Flippers Photo is copyright Andrea Zucker Photography / Memphis CVB
1. The Huffington Post returned to Memphis for another in-depth article covering all kinds of things (not just the usual, either).
2. The Memphis Tigers are ranked #1 in the AAC West according to a media poll. We’ll take it.
3. MSN named Beale Street one of the World’s Top 10 Most Famous Streets.
4. The Food Network published a guide for where to eat in Memphis, and they even branched out from BBQ (!!) and included spots like Las Delicias, Casablanca, and the Chinese Sub Shop.
5. The Travel Channel published an “Insider’s Guide” to Memphis, and I’m honored to be a source for the article. (Yes, that’s a humblebrag.)
— Beth Ann Nichols (@GolfweekNichols) July 12, 2017
6. What do youngest player at this year’s U.S. Women’s Open and Elvis have in common? They both claim Memphis as their hometown! Memphian Rachel Heck is 15, a sophomore at St. Agnes Academy, and USA Today’s 2017 National High School Golfer of the Year. Read more about her and how she did in the CA. Thanks for making us proud, Rachel!
7. Comedian Kevin Hart filmed an episode of his show “Hart of the City” at High Cotton Brewing last weekend. Five Memphis comics performed for the cameras, a local audience, and Hart. The episode will air in late fall. Read more.
8. Remember rapper Li’l P-Nut? He now goes by Benjamin Flores, Jr., and he’s in the newest Transformers.
9. Yelp (via Buzzfeed) says that The Pumping Station is the best gay bar in Tennessee.
10. A famous chef came to Memphis and ate a bunch of stuff and met cool Memphians. Garden & Gun wrote a wonderful article about it.
11. Stax Academy students and legends Mavis Staples and William Bell took a European tour earlier this month “bringing the music of Memphis back to Europe“, reports the Atlanta Black Star.
12. International star and Memphis jookin’ dancer Lil Buck will be the real-person behind the CGI Mouse King in Disney’s upcoming Nutcracker remake, which opens in November 2018.
13. Central BBQ made another best barbecue list, this time representing Tennessee on MSN’s “The Best BBQ Joint In Every State” list.
14. The Globe and Mail says Memphis is one of the top 5 hospitable Southern cities their readers (Canadians) should visit.
15. Australia is all about some Memphis! Proof:
a) Travel Weekly was a fan of our historical tourism
b) Travel Talk magazine gave some serious shout-outs to the city as the Birthplace of Rock ‘n’ Roll
c) The Senior talks about the upcoming 40th Anniversary of Elvis’ death and this year’s Elvis Week
d) Memphis is featured in this Australian travel article
16. Y Travel Blog published an article about what to do with kids in Memphis.
17. People Magazine’s “Hungry Girl” food blog said that Pete & Sam’s has the best bbq pulled pork pizza in the world.
18. CNBC said that Memphis is in the top 15 best affordable vacation destinations in the United States.
20. The LA Times featured the American Queen cruise line (and talked about Memphis) in their travel section.
Let me know your favorite Memphis bragging rights in the comments!