Thursday News Update: March Madness Edition
In today’s Memphis, we have a big tourney coming to downtown Memphis, Redbirds tickets, and some restaurant openings. All that and more in today’s new update.
– Important: the inaugural 901 Popper Throwdown has been moved from this Saturday March 25 to this Sunday, March 26.
– Porcellino’s is hosting a special “Sausage & Scotch” dinner next Thursday at 6:30 p.m. and they have some seats left! Hurry up and get your tickets today.
– A limited number of tickets to the March Madness NCAA tournament games (March 24 and 26) will go on sale today, March 23 at 10 a.m. Details.
– Don’t forget that a billion people are coming to downtown Memphis this weekend for said March Madness games, so expect downtown to be bonkers. The games are Friday and Sunday. Let’s be nice to our visitors and make everyone feel welcome.
– High Cotton Brewing will have an NCAA Watch Party on Friday night. If you’re a local bar that’s hosting a March Madness Watch Party (or just showing the games) this weekend or next, please let me know in the comments. Blog readers want to know where to spend their money.
– Weekly nonstop flights from Memphis to Cancun will start up again on May 17! More info.
– You can now buy single tickets for the March 30 St. Louis Cardinals exhibition game at AutoZone Park. That purchase includes a ticket to the Redbirds Opening Day game on April 11. Go to MemphisRedbirds.com to buy. Field Box tickets start at $28.
– Also, single-game tickets for the entirety of the Redbirds’ 2017 home games are on sale.
– R.I.P. also to Chuck Berry, was passed away on March 18, 2017. Without him, we wouldn’t have rock ‘n’ roll as we know it today, or this song about Memphis.
– We have a couple of new restaurants opening in the next week: Wimpy’s (150 N. Avalon), Mama Gaia (Crosstown Concourse, opens March 25), and Agavos (2924 Walnut Grove Rd.) Stay tuned to the ILM Twitter and Instagram for sneak peeks.
– Elwood’s Shack has reopened.
– Don’t forget you can buy sweet I Love Memphis t-shirts (above), tanks (spring is here!) and a 3/4 sleeve baseball tee at shop.ilovememphisblog.com.
– Crosstown Concourse has moved its opening date celebration to August 19, 2017.
– The CVB has created a map of filming locations for CMT’s Sun Records:
— Memphis (@MemphisTravel) March 9, 2017
– Move over, Pancho’s. Tom’s Tiny Kitchen now has cheese dip. According to Memphis foodie and ILM contributor Stacey Greenberg, “It’ll be in a few stores next week and all Krogers at the end of the month…It’s delicious.”
– Save the Date: Indie Memphis Film Fest’s dates for 2017 are November 1-6.
– The Church Health Center will start a bunch of new yoga, Pilates, and kids’ fitness classes at their new home in Crosstown Concourse beginning in April. Check out the schedule here.
– There are two new food truck “parks”. I haven’t been able to check them out personally, but here’s what I know:
– one of them is at 3803 Winchester Rd and appears to be open only on Fridays for lunch
– the other one is at Putt Putt on Summer (aka Golf & Games) and you can attempt to find their schedule here