5 Things To Do This Weekend: 2/3 – 2/5
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend, plus a few extras.
1. International Blues Challenge, Beale Street, through Saturday, prices vary, all ages/late night shows may be 21+
Hundreds of blues musicians are in town from around the world for competition and recognition. This is really cool that we have this here in Memphis. Read more here.
2. Garth Brooks World Tour With Trisha Yearwood, FedExForum, Thursday – Saturday, $74.98, parents use your own judgement
Garth Brooks apparently still has a large, energized fan base, and they’re all coming to Memphis this weekend. Expect extra crowds in city for his four shows (one on Thursday, one on Friday, and two on Saturday) and please be nice to our visitors. There are still tickets available. I honestly have no idea how kid-appropriate this guy is, but I imagine if you’re a fan, you’ll know.
3. Blueprints to Freedom: An Ode to Bayard Rustin, Hattiloo Theatre, Thursdays through Sundays through Feb. 12, $22 – $28, 13+
Set in the political and racial heart of 1963, the play follows Bayard Rustin, an openly gay, Black member of the non-violent civil disobedience movement.
4. Bluff City Fire & Ice Polar Beer Plunge (and Chili Cook-Off), Mud Island River Park, 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., $5/$50, all ages
Pay $5 to taste-test all the chilis from the cook-off teams starting around 10 a.m., and/or hang around to jump in the not-exactly-warm Wolf River at 3 p.m. ($50 per person). It all benefits the Special Olympics
5. Super Bowl Sunday, Various Locations, Sunday, prices vary, all ages
Check out this ^^ post for a list of local watch parties, plus places to get your beer, wings, or other food delivered.
And, here’s one more, for all you talented Memphis people (I know there are many of you)…
America’s Got Talent Auditions, Cook Convention Center, Saturday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m., free, all ages
Test your talents for Season 12 of the popular TV show.
The photo at the top of this page was taken by Sean Davis. Thanks, Sean!
I hope you have a great weekend. Come back here and tell me all about it on Monday.