5 Things To Do This Weekend: 5/13 – 5/15
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend.
1. Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest, Tom Lee Park, Thursday through Saturday, all day, $10, 18+
Teams from all over the world have set up camp in Tom Lee Park to compete in this weekend’s Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest. Head to the park to check out the elaborate tents, live music, and food vendors. In order to get in the tents, you must have a specific invite from someone on a team.
2. Memphis The Musical, Playhouse on the Square, Thursday – Sunday, $22 – $40, 13+
Inspired by actual events, Memphis centers around a white disc jokey, Huey, who wants to change the world, and black club singer, Felicia, who is ready for her big break. Their incredible story takes them to the ends of the airwaves and on a journey filled with laughter, emotion, and a whole lot of Memphis soul. This show plays at Playhouse until May 29.
3. Time Warp Drive-In, Malco Summer Drive-In, Friday, 7:30 p.m., $10, 18+
The Time Warp Drive-In’s all nighter movie series continues this Friday with the theme “Comic Book Hardcore”. It includes the films Sin City, Tank Girl, The Crow, and and Blade. While all ages are welcome, I’m putting 18+ on this one because the films are pretty much for grown-ups.
4. Reigning Sound w/ Robbie Grant and DJ Hot Tub Eric, Harbor Town Amphitheater, Saturday, 6 p.m., $5 donation, all ages/kid-friendly
This weekend is the second-to-last River Series at Harbor Town concert, featuring Reigning Sound (original lineup) plus Robby Grant with DJ Hot Tub Eric. Admission is a $5 donation at the door, and proceeds go toward the Maria Montessori School. They’ll have food from Miss Cordelia’s and Wiseacre beer for sale, and you’re welcome to bring your own picnic. Here are some Memphis picnic basket ideas.
5. Memphis Redbirds v. Sacramento River Cats, AutoZone Park, Saturday – Sunday, all ages/kid-friendly
Our Triple-A baseball team plays at home this weekend: on Saturday night at 6:35 p.m. and on Sunday at 2:05 p.m. Saturday is Star Wars Night, bobblehead night (for the first 1,500 fans), and there will be postgame fireworks. On Sunday, the first 2,500 kids under 12 will get free ice cream.