5 Things To Do In Memphis This Weekend: 1/1 – 1/3
Happy New Year Memphis! Kick off the new year with these five things you won’t want to miss this weekend. If you’re in town for the sold-out Liberty Bowl game, click here for tips.
1. Ice Skating, Memphis Zoo, Friday – Sunday, 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., $6 per person, all ages/kid-friendly
This is your last weekend to enjoy ice skating at the Memphis Zoo at Memphis’ only outdoor (or at least outdoors in a tent) rink. Friday night (the 1st) is 80s night and Saturday night (the 2nd) is Elvis night, so feel free to come in themed costumes. Sunday night (the 3rd) is the last night.
2. Liberty Bowl Parade and Pep Rally, Beale Street, Friday, 3 p.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
Get pumped for the Liberty Bowl with a parade starting at 3 p.m. on Beale Street followed by a pep rally in Handy Park at 4:30 p.m. High school and university bands, floras, and more. The Liberty Bowl game itself (on Saturday, January 2nd) is sold out.
3. Marvel Universe Live, FedExForum, Friday – Sunday, $15 – $35, all ages/kid-friendly
This superhero stunts ‘n’ live action performance extravaganza has multiple showings all weekend long. Click here for times and tickets.
4. ZaFest 2, Hi-Tone Cafe, Saturday, doors at 5 p.m., music at 6 p.m., $7 – $9, 18 and up
Celebrate the new year with pizza from Midtown Crossing Grill ($1 a slice) and music from about 15 local bands in both the big and small rooms at the Hi-Tone.
5. 2nd Annual Russell George Memorial Benefit, Earnestine & Hazel’s, Saturday, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m., $10 suggested donation
Honor the late owner of E&H at a chill afternoon gathering benefitting the Church Health Center. Have a beer, hear the Earnestine & Hazel’s House Band, eat a Soul Burger, and hang around to watch the Grizz defeat the Jazz (on TV) at 8 p.m.