Opera Memphis Presents The Magic Flute This Weekend

Posted by Holly Whitfield | October 29th 2015 1503 1
LoResAngelo

Opera Memphis presents fan-favorite fairy-tale-opera the Magic Flute this Saturday and Sunday at GPAC.

Prince Tamino, played by Sean Panikkar

The Magic Flute is a fun, accessible show, with music, spoken word, and arias. It’s set in Memphis (Egypt) in the rainforest. Nevermind the geographic inconsistencies – it’s a fairy tale, folks.

The story goes something like this: Prince Tamino is fighting a monstrous serpent (like you do if you’re a prince in rainforest Egypt) and it’s not going well. Three women appear, save him from the snake, and then ask for a huge favor in return. He can’t say no, right? That would be totally awkward after they just saved his tail.

Lucky for him the favor involves rescuing the daughter of the Queen of the Night, Pamina (super cute damsel-in-distress) from evil sorcerer Sarastro. If Tamino succeeds, he gets Pamina’s hand in marriage. If not…well, there are probably more snakes (or worse) to deal with. The adventure is filled with magical creatures, mystical warfare, and comical twists.

That’s my highly unrefined plot synopsis for Opera Memphis’ next performance, Mozart’s The Magic Flute. They’ll perform this two-act opera at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 20 and 21 at GPAC. and I’m giving away a pair of tickets to the show plus an I Love Memphis prize pack.

To enter, tell me your favorite fairy tale character and why. Leave it in the comments and I’ll do a random drawing on Tuesday morning, Nov. 3, at 9 a.m.

The winner will receive a pair of tickets to the Magic Flute, plus a new I Love Memphis t-shirt and stickers.

The giveaway has ended. Congrats to Stephanie Turner!

Fun fact: Prince Tamino is played by Sean Panikkar, who was on America’s Got Talent in 2013, and he’ll share the stage (at least for a bit) with his daughter, who plays one of the rainforest animals. See the full cast here.

It’s a perfect family-friendly show, and a great way to introduce your kids to the opera. Get your tickets today.

Go there:

Opera Memphis’ The Magic Flute
November 21 – 22, 2015
7:30 p.m.
Germantown Performing Arts Center
$33 – $84

Comments

1. christine says:

obviously mulan. she takes responsibility to become the head of the family to protect her father. she doesn’t cave into her mother’s feministic expectations and is strong-willed and defines her own identity. she is a model for all young girls out there to be yourself and its not discouraging to be a strong female in this world!

2. Wayne says:

I’m a big fan of opera, The Magic Flute AND the I Love Memphis Blog!

3. Amy Fehr says:

Little red riding hood!

4. Wayne says:

Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk–adventurous, but maybe a little irresponsible.

5. Emily Taylor says:

little Red Riding Hood. She was a brave, kind hearted girl who hopefully learned from her naivety!

6. Ryo Kimball says:

Not sure if this counts, but I’ve always liked the fox(es) in Aesop’s fables. His cunning and curiosity gets him out of as much trouble as he gets into.

7. Ned says:

Will you do all our synopses, please? That was awesome.

Should also mention that Sean is a huge Game of Thrones geek, even recording the theme song in High Valerian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZUpUCvA_Tc

8. Stephanie says:

Hmm…favorite fairy tale character would have to be Maleficent.

9. Emily says:

Rapunzel. When everything was taken away from her — she triumphed and got the family she never had. Classic ‘fairy tale’ ending.

10. Emily B says:

Rapunzel. When everything was taken away from her– she triumphed and found happiness and love with family she never had.

11. Monica says:

Beauty and the Beast. Both Belle and Beast. She saw the best in the beast despite stories and he showed his sensitive side!

12. Vee says:

Anasi the spider because he’s wise, cunning and logical in most folk tales he’s in.

13. James Hopkins says:

Favourite fairy tale would have to be Peter Pan. The archetypes portrayed throughout the novel/play are poignant examples of the things we lose and take granted for as we age.

14. Tammie Pertl says:

I like Prince Tamino the best. Because, I like the way he blows kisses.

15. Kellie Cole says:

My favorite fairy tale character is Cinderella because of the kindness, bravery, and love she was able to possess despite her many hardships!

16. Hannah says:

I have always loved Cinderella. She teaches you that dreams can come true!

17. Cynthia says:

The Ugly Duckling is the best fairy tale. What a great way to illustrate that beauty (or lack of) isn’t always what you see. The poor duckling was bullied as a child and when it turned into a swan the bullying stopped. A story all to real in today’s world. The duckling could have easily had a booyah moment by turning nasty to all who were initially mean, but he didn’t. The ugly duckling was beautiful inside the whole time and by remaining true to himself, stayed beautiful inside when the outside became beautiful too.

18. Dashae Davis says:

Aladdin is my favorite movie and of course my favorite character is Aladdin. Aladdin sidekick Abu discovers the magic lamp and uses his wishes to try to get close to the love of his life. I love that it’s both romantic and comical. I also can’t stop singing those songs for the life of me! Lol

19. Reid says:

I have heard great things about the opera and would love to go!

20. Emily G says:

I love the duck from Peter and the Wolf. Even though she gets eaten at the end she lives on in the wolf’s belly because he swallowed her whole. Talk about a survivor!

21. Courtney Schreiner says:

Elphaba, because she taught us that it’s good to be different and best to be yourself!

22. Peggy says:

The princess from “The Princess and the Pea” is my favorite fairy tale character because she is picky like me.

23. Patricia Cooper says:

Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale character. She perseveres through her tough situation. She has a kind heart. She doesn’t give up hope. She is brave enough to go where her dreams may be fulfilled. She has a chance to better her situation and she takes it. It worked out well for her, unless you see Into the Woods!

24. Rebecca says:

My favorite character is Beauty from the 18th century French fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast. I love her because she is kind and brave and does not expect to be saved but rather does the saving.

25. Meghan Troxel says:

Cinderella, because ultimately her hard work and goodness in the face of adversity won out! She got everything she deserved as a result!

26. Vivian says:

My favorite is definitely Snow White – she is very pretty and got kissed by a very handsome prince when she was asleep for many years.. Who doesn’t want the prince of your dreams to kiss you awake?

27. Caroline says:

I have always loved Cinderella. It started with an obsession with the Roger and Hammerstein musical and grew into a love of reading different culture’s interpretations of the same fairy tale.

28. Stephanie Turner says:

Sleeping Beauty all the way. Who wouldn’t want to get beauty rest while waiting on a handsome prince?? 🙂

29. Candace says:

My favorite fairy tale character has always been Sleeping Beauty; I love how she has three fairy godmothers: Flora, Fauna and Merriweather.

30. Kaylee says:

Beauty and the Beast! Because it’s not what’s on the outside thy matters. It’s a persons heart and soul.

31. MIchelle D says:

Either Hans My Hedgehog because he’s half hedgehog half boy and rides a rooster (I like the visual), or Baba Yaga because she’s an elemental witch who can be both good and evil (I like the ambiguity).

32. Emily G says:

I love the duck from Peter and the Wolf. She’s a survivor.

33. Jessica N Looney says:

I love the 12 Dancing Princesses! I love that they dance all night long and need new shoes every morning. Ladies after my own heart!

34. Liz says:

I’ve never commented on one of your posts, but I read them every day and love to hear you on 91.1 “Five Things to Do in Memphis This Weekend.” It amazes me that there are not hundreds of comments here– The Magic Flute is a fantastic opera, especially for people who don’t think they like opera. To answer your request for a favorite fairy tale character, I’ve always loved telling the story of the Ugly Duckling to kids in my family. Depending on the version you read, the story can teach a great lesson about not letting looks dictate your place in life.

35. sarah says:

Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale character because she worked hard, looked gorgeous, and got her prince!

36. Clare says:

Snow White is my favorite fairy tale character because she lives in the woods and is friends with all the animals there

37. Dieter says:

Little Red Riding Hood is my favorite. couldn’t tell the difference between her grandma and a wolf – really?

38. Michelle Walters says:

Peter Pan is my fav – never have to grow up and have real responsibilities – no work means more time for theatre !!