5 Things To Do in Memphis This Weekend: 12/26-12/28
Happy Boxing Day, Memphis! I hope you're enjoying the season. Here are the five things you won't want to miss this weekend. Also go check out my guide to New Year's in Memphis and my 2014 Year In Review post.
1. Snowy Nights in My Big Backyard, Memphis Botanic Garden, all weekend, 5:30 p.m. – 8 p.m., $7 MBG Members / $10 Non-Members / free for kids under 2, all ages and kid-friendly
Don't let geography get in the way of having a white Christmas. The Memphis Botanic Garden is having a month-long snow day in My Big Backyard with “snow,” hot cocoa or spiced tea, winter crafts, and a giant Snow Globe. It's open nightly through December 30, so this is your last weekend chance to take the kiddos.
2. Cirque Dreams Holidzae, Orpheum Theatre, Friday and Saturday, 8 p.m., $48.50 – $78.50, ages 4 and up/kid-friendly
A Cirque du Soilei style holiday show full of acrobatic feats and stunt masters meets Broadway musical dance, song, and music. It's so festive they had to spell holidaze with a Z.
3. Zoogma w/ Agori Tribe, 1884 Lounge at Minglewood Plaza, Friday, 9 p.m., $15, 18 and up
Hailing from Oxford and Memphis, electronic rock group Zoogma is passing through for a post-Christmas dance party/light show/rock concert. According their FB page, we might can expect some special guest appearances. You can download their albums for free here.
4. City Champs w/ Marcella and Her Lovers, Hi-Tone Cafe, Friday, 9 p.m., $10, 18 and up
Head to the Hi-Tone for the annual post-Christmas show with the City Champs, which the Hi-Tone's website humbly describes as "one of the best Memphis bands ever. Period."
5. AutoZone Liberty Bowl Parade and Pep Rally, Beale Street/Handy Park, Sunday, 3 p.m./5 p.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
Get pumped for Monday's Liberty Bowl game with a downtown parade on Sunday at 3 p.m. followed by a pep rally in Handy Park starting at 5 p.m. The West Virginia Mountaineers take on the Texas A&M Aggies on Monday (kickoff at 1 p.m., it's also on ESPN) so except lots of visitors in town over the week and early next week. Go here for more game info.
Also this weekend, we have the Russian Ballet's Nutcracker at the Cannon Center, Grizzlies v. Rockets on the 26th with a scarf giveaway, Sanders Family Christmas at Circuit Playhouse, Trolley Night is happening with open shops and live music, and more.
Keep in mind that Snowy Nights (Botanic Gardens) and Zoo Lights end on Dec. 30. Starry Nights' last night is Dec. 28.