5 Things To Do in Memphis This Weekend: 7/18 – 7/20
Happy Friday! Here are the five things you won't want to miss in Memphis this weekend.
1. Glitch "Party of Five", Glitch (2180 Cowden Avenue), Friday, 6 p.m. – 11 p.m., free, all ages
Tonight's show marks the one-year anniversary of Adam Farmer's house gallery. Multiple artists submitted pieces no larger than 5" x 5" to create a collage that fills the gallery. There will also be five bands performing at this one-man show.
2. Labyrinth, Orpheum Theatre, Friday, 7 p.m., $7 adults/$5 kids, all ages
The Orpheum Summer Movie Series continues tonight with your favorite oddball eighties cult classic featuring David Bowie and a bunch of puppets, naturally. Here is the whole schedule for the rest of the summer.
3. Al Kapone Memphis as F**** Show with DJ Witnesse, Hi-Tone, Friday, doors at 9 p.m.. $10, 18+
Get thee to the Crosstown neighborhood tonight to celebrate Memphis rap with Al Kapone, DJ Witnesse, Muck Sticky, Knowledge Nick (see my interview with him here) and others.
4. Halftime Huddle $20 Adoptions, Humane Society of Memphis & Shelby County, Saturday, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., $20 – $26, all ages
If you've been thinking about adding a furry friend to your family, head to the Humane Society this Saturday to take advantage of the $20 adoption day with extended hours (dogs require an additional $6 fee). Adoptions are normally $75 – $150. Be sure to go here and read the instructions on how to get approved for adoption, and other ways you can help if you aren't in a position to get a new pet.
5. 26th Annual WEVL 89.9 Blues on the Bluff, Metal Museum, Saturday, 6 p.m. – 11 p.m., $20, all ages
Don't miss the annual mini blues fest with the best view of the Mississippi River. Music by the Gary Burnside Band, the Bo-Keys, and Blind Mississippi Morris, plus Schlafly craft beer and wine sold, all to benefit WEVL (89.9FM) radio. Parking is free, but leave your drinks and coolers at home.
Don't forget to vote for I Love Memphis (you'll have to write me in) in the Memphis Flyer's Best of Memphis poll – only a few more days left to vote.
Also, if you tune in to AM 56/87.7 FM MemphiSport Live radio show this Saturday from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., you can not only hear me on my monthly segment, but you can also hear my podcast co-host interview Memphis' own Prince Mongo. You can listen online here.
Have a great weekend!