The No-Frills Guide to Brunch in Midtown Memphis

Posted by Holly Whitfield | April 16th 2014 15288 63

In preparation for this series of posts, I did some research on brunch guides from around the U.S., and I found a lot of treatises on brunch as a civic institution. For example: how people will wait in the wind and cold and heat and hail for a table at a popular brunch spot, or how whole friend groups will be ripped apart by differing opinions on omelets.

And while I’m sure there is a time for me to wax poetic about Memphis brunch, now is not that time.

Cajun Benedict (on a biscuit) with Andoullie Sausage at The Bayou.

Now is the time to help you quickly answer that very important question: Where do you want to go to brunch? I figure you need to know where these places are, when brunch is available, how much the booze is, and if there’s a patio (in case we ever get a spring).

With that in mind, here is your I Love Memphis No-Frills guide to brunch in midtown Memphis. If you’re looking for the downtown guide, go here. If you’re looking for East Memphis/other areas, that guide is on the way. Please scroll down to the bottom of the post for FAQs about the ILM Brunch Guides.

Keep in mind that menus and prices are subject to change frequently. I try to update as often as I can, but I recommend you call ahead to confirm if the prices are very important to you.

Alchemy (940 S. Cooper St.), Sunday, 10:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., $5 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, small patio.

Note: The bar stays open until 4 p.m., and for your Bloody Marys or Bellinis (also $5), you can “create your own” from a checklist of ingredients, mixers, and garnishes. To read more about Alchemy, go here.

Bloody Mary from the “Bloody Mary bar” at Alchemy.

Bar Louie (2125 Madison Ave.) Sat. and Sun., 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Bloody Marys/Mimosas, big patio

The Bayou (2094 Madison Ave.), Sat. and Sun., 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Bloody Marys/Mimosas, big patio

Beauty Shop (966 S. Cooper St.), Sunday, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., $8 Bloody Marys/$7 Mimosas, small patio

Pancakes at The Beauty Shop.

Blue Monkey (2012 Madison Ave.), Sunday, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., $3 Bloody Marys/$2.50 Mimosas, big patio.
Note: You must be 21 or older to enter; smoking is allowed inside. To read more about the Blue Monkey’s other food, go here.

Bosco’s (2120 Madison Ave.), Sunday, 10:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., $3.75 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, big patio. Note: Live music every Sunday.

Cafe 1912 (243 S. Cooper St.), Sunday, 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., $7 Bloody Marys/$6 Mimosas, small patio. To read more about Cafe 1912, go here.

Cafe Eclectic Midtown (603 N. McLean), Sunday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., BYOB, big patio. Note: Bring your own champagne and then order some of their fresh-squeezed OJ or grapefruit juice on ice.

Celtic Crossing (903 S. Cooper St.), Sunday, 10:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., $4 Bloody Marys/$5.75 Mimosas, big patio. Note: You can get a carafe of OJ and a bottle of bubbly for your table (or you and a friend?) for $23. To read more about Celtic’s brunch, go here.

French Toast at Celtic Crossing.

Local on the Square (2126 Madison Ave.), Sat. and Sun., 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., $3 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, big patio.

Robata Ramen and Yakitori Bar (2116 Madison Ave.) Sat. and Sun. starting at 11 a.m., small patio.

Schweinehaus (2110 Madison Ave.) Sat. and Sun., 11 a.m – 6 p.m., $4.50, Bloody Marys/Mimosas, big patio.

The Second Line (2144 Monroe Ave.) Sat. and Sun., 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., $8 Bloody Marys/$5 Mimosas, big patio.

Side Street Grill (31 Florence St.), Sunday, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Bloody Marys/Mimosas, big patio.

Slider Inn (2117 Peabody Ave.), Sunday, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., $4 Bloody Marys/Mimosas, big patio. To read more about Slider Inn, go here.

Sweet Grass (937 S. Cooper St.), Sunday, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., $8 Bloody Marys/$7 Mimosas, small patio. To read more about Sweet Grass, go here.

I Love Memphis No-Frills Brunch Guide FAQs

1. What is considered brunch? For this list, the restaurant must have a Saturday and/or Sunday brunch menu different from their usual breakfast/lunch menu, and they should serve alcohol. Alcenia’s downtown and Cafe Ecelctic midtown are two exceptions. Alcenia’s: I figure the Ghetto-Aid is strong enough to count. Cafe Eclectic: BYOB with no corkage fee also counts.

2. You left off my favorite brunch/weekend lunch place and I am deeply offended. Why did you leave it off? Please don’t be offended. I looked for brunches high and low, but if it didn’t make it on the list, I probably didn’t leave if off on purpose. Just shoot me an email or leave me a comment and I’ll add anything that fits the qualifications. Note that there are loads of wonderful places for breakfast and lunch that also serve on weekends, but it needs to be a specifically “brunch” menu.

3. Why just midtown? Did you miss Downtown Brunch Guide? You can find it right here. I’ll be publishing brunch guides for other areas of town (East Memphis, other areas) soon. If you have a favorite brunch spot in the Memphis area, please let me know.

Comments

1. Melissa says:

Is the Bar Louie price correct. Went there a couple of weeks ago and was charged $9 for half a wine glass full of mimosa. And the Macmosa and Macs hash at the bayou is where it's at!. Awesome review- THANK YOU!!

2. Holly Whitfield says:

You're welcome Melissa! I called Bar Louie to confirm this morning and they said $5. I'll keep a lookout in case that's incorrect.

3. Janet says:

So I LOVE brunch but I work weekends 🙁 Do you have a 'best breakfast that is served past 9am' guide? I know 'The Brother' 😉 but would like more options ….I will search, but would love to know.

4. Molly says:

Janet – Cafe Eclectic serves breakfast all day long I believe as does Republic Coffee and the Pancake Shop.

5. Allison says:

Please do not forget about Majestic Grille downtown! They have such a nice brunch and it is extremely reasonably priced. Plus outside seating!

6. kb says:

janet- bardog has breakfast, they open at 8 am- i'm a night shift nurse and that is our go-to after a long night

7. James says:

My guys at South of Beale have a great brunch and probably the biggest patio downtown.(Or at least on S. Main)

8. James says:

Oh…disregard Holly. Just saw Midtown My bad

9. Holly Whitfield says:

No problem, James!

Allison – I included the Majestic on the Downtown Brunch Guide I published a few weeks back: http://ilovememphisblog.com/2014/03/the-no-frills-guide-to-brunch-in-downtown-memphis/

10. Caroline says:

Thanks for posing these, I am bookmarking all of them! I love brunch.

11. Richard says:

Nice article, but……there are some of us who no longer drink. Beautiful pictures but a bit more information (specialties, buffet(?), price levels, etc.) would have been more helpful to the teetotalers among your readers. Sorry to sound like a complainer. You do a wonderful job. Thanks from an avid reader.

12. Claire says:

Very timely!  Just now making brunch plans with friends, and we've been to The Beauty Shop 3 times…think we'll try Alchemy.

13. iAmBaronVonTito says:

Love this list.  I'm a recent transplant to Bartlett after 9 years of living in Midtown, now my hometown. It's been a culture shock for me, so I hope the East Memphis and Co. guides are soon to come.

You rock,
    iABVT

14. Matt says:

Just had the Second Line brunch and (I believe) is worth adding to the list.

• Holly Whitfield says:

Matt – awesome! thank you! I saw that they added a new brunch menu a few weeks ago. I’ll be sure to add it to the list once I get the details

15. Pam says:

Imagine Vegan Cafe & Fuel!! Great brunch choices from vegans & vegetarians!!

16. Mac & Amber says:

Come Get Your Mac-On Saturday & Sunday at The Bayou. BRUNCH 11-3pm Happy Hour till 4pm. $3 Screwdrivers, Bloody Mary’s & Mimosas. Step it up with our $6.50 MacMosas to with Grand Gala or out Award Winning Absolut Bloody Bayou.

17. Toni says:

Looking forward to hearing about brunch places further east. We live in Collierville.

18. danial says:

Schweinehaus just realeased the brunch menu last week. Its served Saturday and Sunday. You can viewbit on their instagram page and it is amazing. Everything from scratch.

19. john says:

Schweinehaus has an awesome brunch on Saturday and Sunday. It should be added to your list.

20. Alex says:

A couple updates: the Bloody Mary at Bar Louie is $10 and Three Angels is only open for Sunday brunch until 230 or 3

21. Tami says:

Thank you for mentioning The Brushmark!  We have recently had a face lift and added some great new items to both our brunch and lunch menu.  We also serve brunch on Saturday.

22. Sarah says:

Just in case there are any other early risers out there, 3 Angels On Broad (the new name for 3 Angels Diner) is open 10-2 for Sunday brunch. They have friendly staff and a lot of delicious brunch options to choose from.

23. Jean says:

Is there any brunch places downtown/midtown/East Memphis that you would say is kid friendly? We don't drink so that's not important, just looking for good food and a fun atmosphere for kids.

• Holly Whitfield says:

Jean, I've seen plenty of families at brunch at Bosco's, the Cafe Eclectic locations, Three Angels, and The Second Line. Downtown, I think Automatic Slim's has kid-pleasing pancake/waffle menu (though they're not cheap), Capriccio Grill at the Peabody (also not cheap), Majestic, and Trolley Stop. In East Memphis, Half Shell is a very popular crowd pleaser for brunch and if you want to splurge, Owen Brennan's seemed to have lots of families there enjoying the extensive buffet.

While it's not specifically brunch, Belly Acres burger joint in Overton is probably the only place besides maybe Huey's, Incredible Pizza, or Mellow Mushroom that caters specifically to kids in making a big deal about the atmosphere. Also not technically brunch but definitely more-than-breakfast is Brother Junipers (go early or be ready to maybe have to wait). Pyro's Pizza is very affordable, has several locations, and serves breakfast pizzas. Blue Plate Cafe is usually full (and I mean full) of families on weekends. Hope this helps!

24. Heather Pike says:

Tart doesn't serve alcohol, but they do have an all-day brunch menu on Sat and Sun, 8-4. No corkage fee 🙂 and breakfast is available all day too, for late risers. Great article!

25. Lane Cross says:

Wow, Holly!! My husband and I are indebited to you – brunch is our favorite meal of the day (wish it could be every day), and I had no idea all of these restaurants had a brunch menu. We have been missing out big time! Thank you for your research!

26. If you ever do a blog or article about De Soto County please make sure that we are involved in it. We definitely have the best brunch in De Soto County. We serve prime rib, and omelette station a pasta station, a salad bar, and 20 different items ranging from bacon, sausage, broiled tilapia, Fried chicken, lasagna, eggplant, catfish, meatloaf, many different vegetables, homemade pastries and desserts. $19.99 and in less mimosas for $7.95

27. Donny Mol says:

Not sure why they left off Lafayette's…i believe its the only one that has brunch on Saturday and Sunday.

• Holly Whitfield says:

Donny,

This list was originally published before Lafayette’s opened. I am waiting on information from that restaurant on prices, menus, and hours before I add it. In the meantime, please note that the majority of these places have brunch on both Saturday and Sunday including Bar Louie, Bayou, Robata, Local, Schweinehaus and Second Line, as I have listed here.

28. Kacky Cole says:

Hey! I was wondering if you could give a review on the brunch food at the Brushmark? I've never been and I'm thinking about going there for a special occasion but want to make sure it is worth it! Also, I don't know if you want to do this but if you had to choose between the Brushmark, Paulette's in Harbortown, and Automatic Slims for brunch, which would you choose? Thank you!!

29. […] and good friends. It’s a bonus if you’re outside on a patio with warm weather. On the I Love Memphis blog, there is an amazing brunch guide for different areas of Memphis that I plan to take on weekend by […]

30. telsha davis says:

Had brunch at one of the places you recommended “Boscos” and the food and waiter (Russell) was awesome. He was a Top Notch waiter and the band played great music. We had the Soup: Lobster and Shrimp Bisque ; Calamari; Omelet (Spinach, Mushrooms, Asparagus, Cheese) ; Tomato and Smoked Salmon Bagel (amazing); Mimosa to drink! Everything was so delicious…..you were right to put this one on your list. Thanks so much!!!