Six Reasons You Should Go to the East Buntyn Art Walk

Posted by Holly Whitfield | April 21st 2014 361 0

This coming Sunday (April 27) the neighborhood of East Buntyn (bordered by Central, Southern, Highland, and Greer) is hosting their annual ArtWalk. Think South Main Trolley Night minus the trolley, plus a church and auction, in a residential setting. In this post, I give you six reasons to go on Sunday. But first, the free stuff.

The East Buntyn ArtWalk is known for their snazzy wine glass designs, and this year you can win a pair for free. There's a picture of them below. Thanks to Brister Street Productions and the ArtWalk, I'm also giving away one free pass to BristerFest. If you want the prize pack (two glasses, one pass) it's easy to win.

Just leave me a comment on this post telling me why you're going to the East Buntyn Art Walk. Do this before tomorrow (Tuesday) morning at 8:30 a.m., and I'll pick a winner then.

**congrats to our winner, Katy!**

photo via Amy Hartelust on Facebook

Over 60 local artists and artisans will have their work on display in the yards of East Buntyn residents. Find paintings by Amy Hartelust (pictured above), pottery by Agnes and Gordon Stark, watercolors by Jerry Whitt, and more photography, pottery, textiles, woodworking, jewelry, stained glass, and more. Looking for something in particular? Stop by St. James Church first to pick up a map.

photo via East Buntyn ArtWalk on Facebook

Pack up the little ones, grab a friend, and put the pup on a leash, because the East Buntyn Art Walk is an outdoor festival that welcomes all the members of your family. Someone in your family not up to that much walking? That's OK, the University Neighborhood Development Council is providing Blue Line buses to run in East Buntyn during the event.

photo provided by East Buntyn ArtWalk

Here's how the wine works: when you get to the neighborhood, head to St. James Church first and purchase a spiffy wine glass for $10, then head to the booths to for free wine and appetizers. Walk, sip, repeat. If you work up a bigger appetite after all that shopping and sipping, head back to St. James Church for dinner at food trucks Stick 'em, Fuel, and Memphis Dawgs. You can also leave a comment on this page telling me why you want to go to the Art Walk and you could win a pair of the glasses + one pass to BristerFest.

photo via East Buntyn ArtWalk on Facebook

Don't forget to bid at the silent auction. All proceeds go towards costs of putting on the ArtWalk. This year's auction offerings include gift cards to local restaurants, bottles of Roaring Tiger vodka,  gift certificates to the Tiger Bookstore, a gift certificate for a free home staging from a local real estate agent, and passes to Brister Fest, Memphis Botanic Garden, and The Pink Palace.

photo via The Poodle Brandy on Facebook

As a neighbor to East Buntyn, Brister Street Productions is a sponsor of the Art Walk this year. Several of their label's musicians will offer up live entertainment ahead of their performances at BristerFest in a few weeks (May 9 – 11 ) Hear The Poodle Brandy, Nora Tucker, The Friendzies, Eroica Ensemble, and The William Charles Collective on stage.

The East Buntyn Art Walk is about as local as you can get. The residents of the area are lending their yards and homes for local artists to use as galleries, the event is free (including the booth artists!), and everyone from across Memphis is welcome. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation and find out what the folks in this little pocket of Memphis. This is the type of "get out of your own neighborhood" thing I'm always encouraging us to do.

Go there:

East Buntyn Art Walk 2014
Between Central and Southern, Highland and Greer (St. James Church is the headquarters)

Sunday, April 27
2 p.m.
free to enter
eastbuntynartwalk.org

Comments

1. Amanda says:

I'm going becuase it will be a nice way to spend the afternoon walking the dogs!

2. Lindsey says:

never been before but will check it out! Saturday is the 26th though…. is it Saturday 26th or Sunday 27th?

Thanks!

3. Kate says:

Just to clarify, the Art Walk is this Sunday the 27th.

4. Kristin Ferryman says:

Going to support my friend Susan McCarty McCanless! J Press Designs. Love this event.

5. Jessica says:

I'm going to support our adjorning neighbors! (We live in Joffre just across Central)

6. Stephanie says:

We'll be going to enjoy quality time with our pooch and purchase some art to welcome in the Spring!

7. Caitlin says:

I’m going to support the local artists!

8. Elizabeth Ennis says:

I'll be going to see more of my friend, Amy Hartelust's work, see my friend's new house in that neigborhood and for the other 6 reasons you listed! What a great way to spend a sunday afternoon!

9. Jimmy says:

My corgi loves a good art show so we will definitely be there enjoying the sights πŸ™‚

10. Katy says:

I'm going because it is something to do with my husband whom I haven't seen in over TWO months.  We are in transition to moving to the Memphis area from Cleveland, OH and are always looking for events to "get to know" this awesome city!

11. David says:

I'm going because I live in this wonderful neighborhood and my wife, Laurie Graves, will have a bunch of her paintings for sale in our front yard!!!

12. Courtney Howell says:

I am attending MCA in the fall as an acrylic art major. I am excited and would like to learn more about the local artists. I will definitely be there! (Oh and the wine glasses πŸ˜‰ )

13. Claire says:

I drove down Ellsworth last night from Central to Southern and almost fainted from the glory of the dogwoods, the pretty houses, and the lovely porches.  I live in the East End neighborhood and have long felt that nothing else in Memphis was as pretty as Midtown, but East Buntyn proved me wrong.  It's really lovely.

14. Rachael says:

I am attending with my son to infuse a strong sense of community and art πŸ™‚ We rock life together exploring all things real, raw, and full of passion.

15. Tracy J says:

My husband and I will definitely be there along with our golden retriever who turns 14 that day.  The perfect birthday gift for her…a walk on a spring day with plenty of people and pets to sniff.  πŸ™‚  Of course, who can resist an event involving wine and local art? We are always on the lookout for ways to support the local community. I love Memphis!

16. Melanie Montgomery says:

I'm going because my husband and I love to support our local artists!

17. Deanna says:

I want to get out and explore Memphis.

18. Jesse Osias says:

Gotta support the 'hood! πŸ˜‰

19. Sarah says:

I just moved to the area and this seems like a great event to see some local art and a new part of town! I'll be going!

20. Ellen Mitchell says:

Lots of end of the school year activities on Sunday, but I'm going to block out some time for this festival. My daughter and her husband recently moved to the East Buntyn neighborhood and love it. I am hoping to find some local art to hang in my bedroom.  Memphis has some amazing, gifted artists!

21. Hannah Collins says:

I'm going no matter what! My friends and I just moved to Memphis and this is exactly what we need. We all work for a ministry so we're pretty cheap, so something like this where you can have fun and not spend a ton of money is right up our alley. I too am really into social media- blogging, twitter, etc so I would love to turn the experience into a piece!

22. Heather says:

I’m going to celebrate my birthday!

23. Kristen says:

We going because my son broke his arm and the Art Walk is a great way to do something outside and expose him to culture at the same time!

24. Allison C says:

I'm going to celebrate Spring and all that is great about Memphis!!

25. Holly Whitfield says:

Congrats to Katy!! You've won 2 glasses and a pass to BristerFest. I'll email you the details!

26. Angie says:

I'm going to find some art for my new home. πŸ™‚

27. Sarajane says:

I am going to the Art Walk because I have never been and I’ve admired the East Buntyn neighborhood for many years. The passion displayed working to maintain the neighborhood’s values is inspiring.