Monday News Update: A Beer Tasting, a Victory, the Law and Project Cat
Happy Monday, y'all.
Today in Memphis, we've got a bit of sad news, an evening beer tasting, a victory, and some thoughts on the NBA draft. Also, some creative geniuses have combined two great things, cat memes and Project Pat lyrics, into one even greater thing.
All of that (and more) is in today's Memphis news update:
– First, a bit of sad news: Memphis has lost a great musician. Blues / soul singer Bobby "Blue" Bland died last night at age 83.
– Free beer alert: Brooklyn Brewery is doing a tasting of their Crazy Good Hot Sauce at the midtown Cash Saver (aka, Memphis' greatest budget beer emporium) from 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. today.
– Today's a good day to congratulate your favorite roller derby girl. The Memphis Hustlin Rollers (MRD's all-star team) won state championships over the weekend, soundly defeating all-star teams from Knoxville, Johnson City and Chattanooga.
– Uh oh. Some of our favorite fancy cocktails could be in danger now that the state has decided to start enforcing a 2006 law banning infused liquors.
– Popdose has a pretty great interview with Big Star drummer Jody Stephens.
– I know we're taking our annual break from basketball right now, but the NBA draft is coming up on Thursday, and Chris Herrington has a few thoughts about the Grizzlies' prospects.
– Lastly, the Brooks Museum is holding a photo contest as part of their Summer of Cloar. If you want to win a vacation (or staycation) in Memphis, take a photo that you think defines the American south and tweet it to @brooksmuseum with the tag #summerofcloar by July 14.
Have a tip for I Love Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.