Updated: Memphis Little Free Libraries Map

Posted by Holly Whitfield | June 24th 2013 9 305

Since the first Little Free Library popped up in Midtown about a year ago, it seems like a new one has been built almost every week.

For the uninitiated, Little Free Libraries are tiny houses, usually made of wood, that people can install at the edges of their yards or in their businesses. The unlocked boxes are then filled with books on the premise that anyone can leave (or take) whatever books they want.

The Memphis Little Free Libraries are part of a huge, global network of libraries.

Right now, most of them are concentrated in Midtown (specifically, Central Gardens), but there are two known locations in East Memphis, two downtown and a brand new one in Binghampton.

It's in the new Carpenter St. Art Garden. Reader Laura sent in this picture:

Binghampton Little Free Library

So, I made this map of all of the (known) Little Free Libraries in Memphis. If you know of one that isn't on the map, please email me and I'll add it.

View Little Free Library Map in a larger map

What's the best thing you've found (or left) at a Little Free Library?

Filed Under:

1. Boba says:

Great idea ! Bravo !  My dream is to come to Memphis, Tenn. <3

2. J Joy says:

I live in new york right now but i was born and raised in Memphis, TN. There's nothing like the blue soul of my hometown and this just makes me miss it even more.

3. Ashley Foxx says:

I love this! I will definitely donate some books!

4. Gail Phillips says:

Will be in Memphis next week. Hope to visit a couple of these little libraries.

5. Kate says:

The one on Peabody was totally empty when I walked by it the other day. Let's get some more goodies in there, y'all!

6. Memphisclaire says:

I have a friend in Cooper Young who is building one.  I'll email you her address when it's finished.  Thanks for posting about this.  It's a terrific thing.

7. Lauren Sefton says:

My husband and I put up the first Little Free Library in Memphis and we LOVE seeing what's new each day.  As of this morning, you can enjoy books by Pat Conroy, John Grisham, a few romance novels, a few business non-fiction titles, a few copies of TN magazine and an unreleased proof of Ambiguity.  Stop on by – 929 Harbor View Drive.  One of our young Library patrons left us a colorful drawing.  Another patron left some musical CDs.

8. Robert Llewellyn says:

Idlewild Presbyterian Church has installed a LFL at 206 Merton Avenue.  #8992.  I am the registered steward.  It has not been posted to the map at the HDQRTs of LFL as yet.

9. […] And if you are familiar with the Little Free Libraries (a public box full of books where anyone may stop by and pick up a book or two bring back another book to share), you can see a map of their Memphis locations here. […]

10. Rosemary Gaynier says:

I am interested in having one of these in front of my Bartlett home in the Quail Ridge Golf Course development.  What is required (a permit, etc.) and do I need to make sure they aren't any others close by?  Thanks!