Wednesday News Update: It’s All (Ok, Mostly) About the Grizzlies

Posted by Holly Whitfield | May 1st 2013 1822 0

It's Wednesday, and if you're in Memphis, you're probably off to a slow start this morning.

I can't promise that this news update will work like coffee, but there's tons of Grizz news (which is all we can talk about right now), info on the Whole Foods expansion and something to listen to while you try to wake up.

But first, check out this photo of the Grindhouse, snapped by @ross_lloyd:

Photo by @fsaeed via Instagram

If you'd like to see your Memphis Instagram photos featured here, please tag them #ilovememphis.

– As you all know by now, the Grizz won game five of their series against the Clippers in last night. In L.A. (If you're like me, your body is reminding you that you're way too old to stay up for west coast games.) Game six will be on Friday night at FedExForum at 8 p.m. Friday night is also Music Fest, so downtown is going to be nuts. Plan accordingly.

– Speaking of last night's game, here's a photo of the bravest man in attendance.

– Also, Congrats to Mike Conley – he's one of six winners of the NBA's sportsmanship award.

– One more Grizz thing, I promise: the ever-appropriate crew at Gibson's Donuts has made special donuts for the playoffs.

– Finally: the Whole Foods Poplar expansion is about to start.

– I like the fact that this guy was issued a citiation. Fair is fair.

– If you know of someone in need, there's a program giving away free window units to qualifying Shelby County residents.

– Today's recommended listening: Spillit Memphis is posting the stories from their last storytellers night. (Full disclosure – I was a part of it, but my story was definitely not the best one of the night.)

Know of something great in Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.

Comments

1. cfields says:

Hi Kerry,

Have you done a round up of where to get the best Grizzlies shirts? At the playoff game, I saw The Grindfather shirt, 901 shirt with Grizz as the O, and a few other good ones that I know come from Hoop City Memphis. But I don't know where to find the others. Might be a fun post and help those of out who are looking for the coolest shirt in town. If you've already done something like this, sorry if I missed it. Thanks!

2. Chris says:

They won Game 5 of the series … gotta be careful when you type and are sleepy ;O)

3. Chris says:

4. Eric says:

How did @fsaeed end up with my buddy Ross' photo? Oh well, GnG anyway!

5. Katie says:

That "snapped" photo is actually stolen from @ross_lloyd

#credit

• Hey, I didn’t know. I’ll credit him instead. I pull the photos for these from the #ilovememphis feed on Instagram, and assume that if someone’s posting it that it’s their work. Fixing the credit now.

6. Katie says:

No worries! Thx for correcting!

7. Emily says:

All the Lansky Bros. stores (Lansky at the Peabody, Lansky 126, and the Lucky Duck) have great Memphis Grizzlies T-Shirts! All the stores are located in the Peabody in Downtown Memphis. You can also order them on the website – http://www.lanskybros.com/default/memphis-grizzlies-t-shirt.html

Grit & Grind! Go Grizz!

8. Jake says:

Does anyone know about a stand that was selling Grizz t-shirts at Graham and Summer in front of the gas station i believe? I think they moved on…I still want one of their shirts though.