Tuesday News Update: Southwest Flights, Free Pancakes, Rooftop Bars and Rick Ross
Today in Memphis, we finally get Southwest flights (sort of), two of our food trucks get big props and there's some good news for Tiger sports fans. Also, I'm pretty sure Rick Ross was hanging out at our Wing Stop. All of that and more is in today's Memphis news update.
Photo by @lisabertagna via Instagram. If you'd like to see your Memphis photos here, tag them #ilovememphis.
– First, the really big news. Southwest Airlines subsidiary AirTran is adding flights out of Memphis to Chicago, Orlando and Baltimore on August 11, 2013.
– Secondly, the second most important news, especially if you like free food: today (Tuesday, Feb. 5) is free pancake day at IHOP.
– We know our food trucks are awesome, but it's nice to see them get recognition outside of Memphis. Stickem Food and Fuel Truck made Deep South's list of the best food trucks in the South.
– Good news, Tiger sports fans: basketball and football tickets are staying the same price next year.
– Speaking of basketball, I know Memphis is serious about it, but I didn't realize how intense the game could be at the middle school level.
– The Madison Hotel's rooftop is about to become the Twilight Sky Terrace, complete with a new menu, fire pits and landscape binoculars.
– By the end of the 2012-13 academic year, University of Memphis students will have donated 53,000 hours of volunteer work to local organizations through partnerships set up by the Department of Social Work.
Help me make ILM better: If you've got a tip for I Love Memphis, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.