Monday News Update: Rivalries, Charming Accents and Low Prices
Happy (cold) Monday!
Today in Memphis, shop a celebrity estate sale, watch local politicos sing karaoke, get ready for the largest startup conference in the country and brace yourself for the re-ignition of the Memphis / Louisville rivalry:
Today's temperature-appropraite photo of oragami snowflakes by @mandyjane87 via Instagram. If you'd like to see your Instagram photos on ILM, tag them #ilovememphis.
– Congratulations to the Tigers on their brutal, brutal crushing of Austin Peay on Saturday. They take on Louisville next weekend, and it's a big, big deal. Go ahead and wash your blue shirts now – Pastner's calling for a blue-out in the Forum on Saturday.
– Guess which city has the lowest average gas prices in the country? (Hint: this one.)
– In local karaoke news (and there's a surprising amount of it today), here's video of politicians Myron Lowery and Steve Mulroy singing "Under the Boardwalk" and "La Bamba". Also, behold Sister Myotis and local meteorology legend Dave Brown engaged in a karaoke smackdown.
– There's still time to check out the estate sale at Cybil Shepard's mother's home. The sale's final day started at 9 a.m. today, so if you're out for bargains, get there on your lunch break.
– The Everywhere Else Conference – the largest startup entrepreneurship conference in the country – is coming to Memphis in February.
– The Children's Museum needs your help with a special MLK Day exhibit. They're looking for letters from children of all ages about "thoughts and feelings of world peace and equality today". Here's more info about the project.
– We may not be America's Favorite City this year, but we've got the second best barbecue and the sixth most charming accents.
I can't do it without you: If you've got a tip for I Love Memphis, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter.